Preventing dye stain from over-darkening endgrain

I know that when I sand end grain to a higher grit than the rest of the wood, pigment stain will come out a bit lighter. Can I control the depth of color of dye stain on end grain in the same fashion, or should I use another method like a wash coat of shellac ?
dave
let me clarify: I should have written, "like a wash coat of shellac over the end grain, before dye staining".
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:
Can I control the

Bay Area Dave wrote:

One nice thing about water based dyes is you can wet a rag and wipe away as much of the dye as you want. I had an end grain situation where it was dyed darker than the surfaces. I used a damp rag to even it up before top coating...
-Bruce
"BruceR" wrote in message

Ditto ...
Transtint is good and will work with water or alcohol applied directly.
AAMOF, on the left hand letter rack drawer of the Stickley 798 writing table I posted pictures of in abpw a day or so ago, the end grain of the bottom plate that the left hand drawer sits on was actually lighter in color, with stain, than the drawer face was without stain.
I wiped on, then off, just a touch of Transtint mission brown, mixed with alcohol, to get the contrast I was looking for between the base plate end grain and the drawer face.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04
BruceR wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/dyes/prod_dyes_trans.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

Dunno - I lighten areas with dye by wetting a cloth with the right solvent (water in my case) and pulling off some of the dye.

You can try wetting the endgrain with water first before applying the dye.