Pretty wood

I know the feeling. I have some pieces that have been lying around here for probably 10 years that I'm still trying to figure how to best use them. Sounds like veneers would be a good choice for yours. Fire up the Laguna!

Reply to
Steve Turner

Um, couldn't you have made those bowties a BIT more gaudy? Saaay, is that balsa?

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 8/16/2011 10:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote: ...

In pictures, often does look almost indistinguishable...in hand, not so much.

"Claro" is fairly recent moniker; the CA genus that is not a hybrid w/ eastern black is generally somewhat lighter and has a clarity of grain that is just, somehow, different altho I don't know any way to verbalize it--you just have to see it in person to appreciate the difference I think.

Note there's nothing at all "wrong" w/ Eastern black walnut nor any intent to imply same; they're just subtly different.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ever work with MDF? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Good trip? It was the druuugs... , mon

Reply to
Leon

This might help. Page down to Claro Walnut:

Sonny

Click onto the pic for more pics

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Page down to Walnut, Claro

Reply to
Leon

I have no idea what sort of wood Tamarack is and to be honest I really don't care. It is the favorite firewood of most around here, kind of a shame. I got over a thousand board feet of it from a nearby sawmill for fifty cents a board foot. It's not easy to work with but the finished product is worth the trouble.

This is a Murphy bed finished in clear urethane

stained and clear urethane

used the Tamarack for wainscoting throughout the house. It's finished like the Murphy bed.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

it's a larch. looks a lot like hickory though

Reply to
chaniarts

Figured North American maple, dyed with Transtint, your choice of color. Looks like marble more than wood.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I'm with Nova on this one. Although I saw a lot of other drool-worthy woods in my Central American travels.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

About 25 years ago I built a cocobolo and padauk coffee table. A couple of years ago I dismantled it and resurface the top. The link is to the freshly drum sanded top.

Leon

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
tiredofspam

About 25 years ago I built a cocobolo and padauk coffee table. A couple of years ago I dismantled it and resurface the top. The link is to the freshly drum sanded top.

pretty, pretty!

Reply to
Tom B

Thank you.