Pretty wood

Page 2 of 2

I don't think I could narrow it down to just one... for domestic woods, my top favorites, in no particular order, are curly cherry, curly maple, quartersawn sycamore, and quartersawn beech.
I've not used enough imported woods to have much of an opinion there, but I sure do like the look of true mahogany.

RE: Subject
Quarter sawn White Oak, Hondouras Mahogany and quality teak.
Lew
On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I think I have to make the choice dependent on the use--some just are "the cat's meow" for one item but totally wrong for another...
To the question as asked as to "pretty", I'd probably have to go to the rosewoods as most striking w/ the Honduran mahogany as the ideal cabinet wood for the non-domestics.
For US domestics, that's a little more difficult altho it's hard to beat butternut on one hand but old salvage chestnut is another outstanding choice...the other of my favorites would be the Claro walnut followed by black walnut...
In it's place, white oak is so striking...there, we're back to what the use is matters...
Like someone else already said, don't think I can have just one...

Yes, I love dark woods like rosewood, walnut, jarrah, and bokote. I put down a little entryway in Jatoba and like it a lot, too.

Agreed, and Honduran mahogany carves nicely, too.

I haven't seen any claro walnut in local wood yards. What's so special about it as opposed to black walnut? Juglans hindsii and nigra look awfully similar in these pics. Same shade, similar figure.
http://www.gilmerwood.com/search_results.php?keywords=black+walnut http://www.gilmerwood.com/search_results.php?keywords=walnut

Absolutely! QSWO is a dream.

What really irks me is to see someone mix quilted maple, birdseye maple, and some other extremely figured wood so there is no mellow place on the piece. Everything fights for your eye. It's overkill and it's downright UGLY! I prefer a basic box with a really nicely figured top, or even a figured inset in a plain top. Classy.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
On 8/16/2011 10:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote: ...

In pictures, often does look almost indistinguishable...in hand, not so much.
"Claro" is fairly recent moniker; the CA genus that is not a hybrid w/ eastern black is generally somewhat lighter and has a clarity of grain that is just, somehow, different altho I don't know any way to verbalize it--you just have to see it in person to appreciate the difference I think.
Note there's nothing at all "wrong" w/ Eastern black walnut nor any intent to imply same; they're just subtly different.

This might help. Page down to Claro Walnut: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm#letterC
Sonny

Click onto the pic for more pics
Sonny

Cool site!
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
On 8/17/2011 7:29 AM, Sonny wrote:

Page down to Walnut, Claro

Personally, walnut is my favorite, too.
Except when I'm working with Cherry. Then that's my favorite.
Except when I'm working with Maple. Then that's my favorite.
Except when I'm working with Oak. Then that's, oh, wait a minute! I really don't care much for Oak.
Seriously, I do love walnut. (http://tinyurl.com/4ygdgy2 ) And cherry, and maple...
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:35:32 -0400, Steve

Saaay, is that balsa?
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
On 8/16/2011 8:35 PM, Steve wrote:

Ever work with MDF? LOL

If there had to be just one? Cherry. I like Purple Heart and Padouk.
But the most incredible wood I have ever seen was the back of a 1957 Gibson where the birds eye maple looked like pearls floating in liquid diamonds. I will never forget that.
On 8/16/2011 9:27 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Good trip? It was the druuugs... , mon
dadiOH wrote:

For turning I find it hard to beat California Manzanita, outstanding colors and grain, not very large in size.
On 8/16/2011 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I have no idea what sort of wood Tamarack is and to be honest I really don't care. It is the favorite firewood of most around here, kind of a shame. I got over a thousand board feet of it from a nearby sawmill for fifty cents a board foot. It's not easy to work with but the finished product is worth the trouble.
This is a Murphy bed finished in clear urethane
http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Murphy1.jpg
http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/Murphy2.jpg
Cupboards stained and clear urethane
http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards3.jpg
I used the Tamarack for wainscoting throughout the house. It's finished like the Murphy bed.
LdB
On 8/17/2011 10:07 AM, LdB wrote:

it's a larch. looks a lot like hickory though

Figured North American maple, dyed with Transtint, your choice of color. Looks like marble more than wood.