pretty good (not outstanding) deal on 24" besseys

Page 1 of 2
Amazon has 24" Besseys for 27.96.. If you order $150 worth of tools, the SAVEMORE coupon knocks $25 off..
So you could order 6 24" Besseys and with the coupon, it comes to roughly 23.80 each.
Or if you need help rationalizing, order 5 Bessys and something for $10.20 or more that you "would've had to buy anyway".. Then you can rationalize that they only cost 22.96 each :)
Yeah, there's been better deals in the past, but this one is good if you need them soon.

Wot's a bessey?
Tim W
Tim W wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you don't have any, you need some :)
Looks like the jet version is on sale too:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

The Bessey K-body clamp is the standard by which all others are judged.
J. Clarke wrote:

Once upon a time yes...
These ones are better: <URL:(Amazon.com product link shortened)61076020/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0287477-9319245?ie=UTF8&s=hi>

<URL:(Amazon.com product link shortened)61076020/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0287477-9319245?ie=UTF8&s=hi> See what you just did--"these ones are better". You used the Bessey K-bodies as a standard.
J. Clarke wrote:

LOL. I love my K-bodies. I can't resist buying them on sale. I ended up ordering the Jet ones this time just to try them out. If anyone is interested, I can report the differences, although I'm sure it's already been done. Hopefully, they'll all get along on the clamp rack and not fight.

Yeah, but you've angered the woodworking fashion gods. They get upset when you have two different types of clamps on the same rack.
Upscale wrote:

Fortunately, I'm a "K-Body" rescue facility!
Send your K's to me immediately, where I will clean them up and allow them to live out their days in the company of family.
Along with the clamps, please include a small donation for their future needs.
B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks for the kind offer, but I think a lesson in diversity will be good for the K-bodies. Nothing like working together for a common goal to bring two different types together :)
I think I reached "more clamps than I could need" about 4 years ago, but I still end up buying 6-10 per year. This time, I rationalized that it would be nice to have some more 24" ones so I wouldn't have to use the 50" or 40" ones for glue ups as often LOL.
bf wrote:

You need a more complicated glue up:-) Joe
J. Clarke wrote:

Nooo, I compared the Bessey to my standard, which is the Jet clamp... :-)

In that case you would have said "Besseys are not as good as these".
Now, what do you like so much about the Jets?
Tim W wrote:

It's a cow. But why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
Mike

There was an extra 10% off hand tools in addition to the $25 off up till the end of last month.
Amazon is still doing insane things with shipping clamps. I ordered 4 18" uniklamps. They weigh less than 5 lbs each, unlike their big brothers. Amazon shipped them in 4 boxes, each box was 12"x12"x24". There was about a mile of air bags in each box.
I like the uniklamps. Light weight but fine for my purposes.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

approximately $35.. This price markdown was actually a better deal.
I've had all kinds of wierd shipping on the clamps.. one monster box with one clamp in it (where the box could've held about 30).. All the way down to some thin cardboard wrapped around it and taped (not pleased with that job).
This is probably a really dumb question, so go easy on me.. I've been earning a living from cabinet making for 4 years now and I've looked at Bessey clamps a million times in the store. I pass on them every once I look at the price tag. Right now I use 3/4" pipe clamps and Bessy "f" body clamps. I know when I glue up door panels I have to make sure the pressure is right in the center of the screw and I alternate clamps on the top / bottom of glue up to keep pressure even. My question is, are these things really worth the money, and will they make my life easier?
--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

I don't do this for a living, just a hobby. But I have a bunch of pipe clamps, a bunch of F-clamps, and still bought maybe 28 Besseys and Gross Stabils, over time, to do kitchens and bathroom cabinets for family and friends.
The glueups are much better, much faster, and more square, more easily. You still have to check, and you still have to measure, but it goes quicker, and is 'on' faster, IME.
If you build things for folks for a living, the cost of these clamps is minimal. If you have a good job, and need to fit the work into spare time, the cost of the clamps is still minimal. If you watch the wReck for news of a sale, there's little reason to pay too big a premium.
Patriarch
Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:

I think they are well worth it. When you catch a sale, you can get them around $20-25 easy. Once they were as low as $15 with double coupon stacking. That's not much more than pipe clamps. The pipe clamp fixture is between $5-12 (depending on whether you get Pony or Harbor Frieght), and then you have to buy the pipe, which is about $5-10+, depending on the length.
The advantages: 1. Easier and faster to line up. 2. No worry about the pipe staining the wood. 3. The K-body blocks are a nice accessory for holding the clamps on the bench while you glue up a panel (search for Bessey K-body door kit) 4. Glue doesn't stick to them 5. And my favorite: When you are gluing up a panel (like for a door), you can use the squared end of the K-body as a "foot" so the glueup stands vertical. With pipe clamps, you need to lean it against a wall.
I have about 60-65 Besseys and about 40 pipe clamps. I only reach for the pipe clamps when I am out of Besseys or there's something too long for Besseys.. My longest Bessey is only 50", so occasionally I need to go to a pipe clamp.
The disadvantages: 1. The round handle is harder to put heavy pressure on the clamp. A pipe clamp has a handle that really lets you crank it down hard. Even though in theory, you should never need that much pressure for a glue up, occasionally you have to "persuade" a piece of wood. Pipe clamps excell at putting higher pressure, because the handle is easier to crank down. 2. Pipe clamps are more flexible for long things, because you can join multiple pieces together. 3. Besseys can't be used as a "spreader", although I hardly ever need to do that.

The newer ones with the removeable black plastic ends can be used as spreaders.
J Coffey