Prettiest Wood?

Page 1 of 2
Dear All,
I am going to be making a little box for a friend for Christmas and I am looking for a very striking wood to make it out of.
In the highly figured or exotics, what do you think is the prettiest wood?
Money is an object, so nothing over $25 a BF.
I am thinking of Cocobolo, QS AUS Lacewood, Padauk, Bubinga, Bloodwood, Bocote, Red Gum, Highly curly hard maple or Sapele.
The box is going to be a very small simple affair, so it is the wood that needs to be striking.
Thoughts?
P.S. Here is a link to my closest exotic wood monger that I will most likely be buying the wood from, they have pics of most of these woods online,
http://www.forloversofwood.com/canada/gallery.html
Thanks,
David.
I don't know that bloodwood will give you the figure you want, but it's very dense. I've used it for chessboards and while I love the end result, I really don't like working with it. As soon as I ran some through the tablesaw, I quickly saw why this "Rosewood" is nicknamed "Bloodwood". The dust was fine and "ran" all over the place.
Don

likely

Bloodwood has the nastiest dust I have ever found. it is finer then anything else and is really hard to capture. padouk is pretty bad but bloodwood is the worst. desert ironwood is about the same but it smells worse. but bloodwood is not a rosewood. now desert ironwood is about the best looking wood I have found. the grain can be incredible. very deep and shiny.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Bloodwood smells soooo sweet though, I love the smell...

sweet? man your idea of sweet is odd (G) you want sweet cut some vera that stuff is sweet. makes your whole shop smell sweet.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 03:51:08 GMT, Steve Knight

I've worked with vitae, and really enjoy the smell of that. is vera anything like that?     Bridger
David Eisan asks:

Too bad. Koa is about $27, IIRC. But give some thought to quartersawn sycamore. Striking figure, much like lacewood. About 6 bucks a bf most places.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
Charlie Self wrote:

I'll second curly koa. It is stunning stuff. Especially if you can find some crotch or flame wood:
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/koa2.jpg It would probably be overbearing in a large piece, but for smaller stuff it is impressive.
Chuck Vance
Guys,
I have a little piece of Curly Koa and it really does have the *WOW* factor. I checked with my local wood mongers and no one has any. Onto plan B...
David.
In article

There's always that standard fallback, when in doubt...
Poplar.
;-)
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Which I suppose would make a very good substrate for veneer.
WHich means, that pretty much any wood could be chosen and used within that price range.
Anybody make pink ivory veneer?
--

FF

Oh man! That is absolutely beautiful!
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Thanks, Mark. I made it as a Christmas gift for my mom. I've got a small stash of similar stuff tucked away in my shop for emergencies. :-) Half of it is the curly stuff like the sides of the box, and the rest is the flame/crotch stuff like the top.
FWIW, the stuff is an absolute bear to plane. I've never had any great problems with other curly woods (maple, cherry, walnut), but this stuff seems to alternate hard/soft grain as well as having reversals every inch or so. And then the crotch stuff ... whew!
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) But it's worth it for how it looks when you're done.

I'll toss in a vote for sycamore. I just turned a piece last night with sycamore and I was very suprised at the results (never having worked with sycamore before). Very hard, close grain. Some nice figuring and the grain looks beautiful. It finishes very nicely too - I have put on but one coat of tung oil and it already shines like glass.
Stinks when cutting though.
-Chris

my hometown tree is the sycamore.... it give great sade, but it doesn't drop it's leaves until mid to late december.... and in wind storms leaves alot of debris around... i have looked for some, but in this area, it is considered a garbage tree....
How about Amboyna Burl? It is very elegant, but not sure of the price.
Digger

likely

am
wood?
Bloodwood,
that
likely
David,
You might consider branching out into veneer. ("Branching Out" - get it? Wood humour [humor Keith]) There are lots of striking veneers and they won't break the bank. If you're set on solid wood, I would find some figured Koa. Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#63412216&category (138
My vote is for the lacewood. Small box, so the figured wood looks to be about perfect. May want to include a contrasting inlay.
Bob S.
I made a lockbox for my pre-teen neice for her to keep her "secrets" in. I used cyprus. When stained, it displays a beautiful grain. Each board has a different grain.
Bill

Add Zebra to the list.

likely