Pressure while drilling

Ok, my newsserver doesn't seem to be working right so this is more or less a test message--but it's on topic!

I was drilling some 1/2" holes in 2x4s using a twist bit and tailed drill. Occasionally it would catch while drilling. Applying a thin coat of wax helped quite a bit, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to prevent the catches? I don't always have wax handy.

Does pressure make a difference? The drill was sharp, btw.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

This often happens more with soft woods as you go through a hard spot in the grain into the softer spots. The bit literally takes too big of a bite when it enters the soft spot and bogs the drill down.

You can regrind the bits, if they are regular twist bits, so that they are less aggressive, for example a grind that is better suited for drilling through steel or iron.

Alternatively switch to a less aggressive feed bit like a Forester style bit.

The lube is going to help if you are getting the "catch" because of side friction, that happens when you can't deep the drill and bit going perfectly straight during the entire drilling operation.

Or use a DP. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

IMO, I have learned that applying less pressure becomes easier especially if hitting a knot. I would back off the pressure and feel the bit slightly eat away with less intensity. I believe with great pressure, the bit is trying to dig in and remove too much at once which will eventually cause a bind/catch.

Reply to
Meanie

That's where a power feed drill press comes in handy!!!

Reply to
clare

Exactly, you can control the rate of feed with a DP. It is difficult to control feed rate with a hand held drill in common construction material especially when going through a hard spot and entering into a soft spot.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I hadn't thought about regrinding the bit. I might give that a try next time I get into this.

What I left out was I couldn't use the DP for these holes. They were mounting holes for rink brackets, and the cross brace would be in the way.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A DP cannot be used for everything.