Pressure treated wood rusting saw top

While over at a friends (fellow woodworker) garage shop, I mentioned that he hasn'e been doing enough work in the shop. His older Unisaw had some very light signs of rust on the table. He told me that if you leave some pressure treated wood on the top for a day or so, You will have some rust. I'm not sure when he waxed it last. Just thouht the the rust from pressure treated wood, might interest some of you who use it. Something to remember.

Reply to
sailor

Pressure treated wood, especially the newer stuff is very corrosive. My daughter and her husband are currently suing a builder who totally screwed up their home construction. One of the many problems was the use of untreated fasteners to attach the planks to the framework. When a crew, who is trying to correct the problems, started removing the 1 to 1-1/2 year old, untreated screws many broke off and all were very corroded.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It is well documented by treated timber manufacturers that coated fasteners should be used with treated timbers. Steel frame member manufactures also document that raw treated timbers should no be fastened to zincalume products. Some untreated hardwoods should also only use coated fasteners as they also react with normal fasteners.

Reply to
Paul D

PT wood is loaded with moisture, Just about any wood that is not dried to the normal furniture making 4-8% moisture content will rust a TS top. I have seen cedar pickets cause a top to rust also.

Reply to
Leon

I've had rust on both my saw top and saw blade when cutting construction dimensional lumber. Moisture can vary. Cedar fencing is really damp...

sailor wrote:

Reply to
Jerry