Preserving a wooden chest

Good day!

I acquired a wooden chest that's about 50 years old. Actually the top is wooden, the other 5 sides are pressed wood and they're slowly by surely falling apart. Is there anything I can do to prevent the deterioration of the chest? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
podgorny

Wed, Aug 2, 2006, 8:40am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth query: Good day! I acquired a wooden chest that's about 50 years old. Actually the top is wooden, the other 5 sides are pressed wood and they're slowly by surely falling apart. Is there anything I can do to prevent the deterioration of the chest? Thanks for the help.

GIT-ROT?

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

have a chest augmentation

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

There does not seem to be any rot, bu the pressed wood seems to crumble little by little

Reply to
podgorny

Thu, Aug 3, 2006, 7:35am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth proclaim: There does not seem to be any rot, bu the pressed wood seems to crumble little by little

Sigh. I wasn't suggetsing there was any rot. Seemingly you have obviously never heard of GIT-ROT, and equally obviously you apparently did not bother to look it up.

I'm not about to do your homework for you. However, GIT-ROT is a special epoxy often used in situations like yours, not necessarily just for rotted wood. Drill holes part way thru, insert GIT-ROT, it sets up, and viola, you've got a solid fix.

Or, you could cut some thin plywood, and laminate that on. 'Course then you'd have to paint it or sumthin'. You could even use cardboard for that, soak it with epoxy and let it set. Loads of options, all you've gotta do is think about it.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Maybe he misread it as GOT-ROT? :)

Reply to
Upscale

Thu, Aug 3, 2006, 4:59pm snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) did put out: Maybe he misread it as GOT-ROT? :)

Or GET-ROT.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

Obviously you've never heard a viola or heard of the word "voila".

Maybe you need a product called PULL-YER-HEAD-OUTTA-YER-ASS.

Reply to
Gus

JOAT may be a pain in the butt, but misspelling "voila" doesn't call for such a comment.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Fri, Aug 4, 2006, 12:49pm snipped-for-privacy@snet.net.invalid (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: JOAT may be a pain in the butt, but misspelling "voila" doesn't call for such a comment.

Thanks. LOL Ah, but I didn't mis-spell it. I try not to use words from any country that believes mimes and Jerry Lewis are entertainment. The guy's obviously one of the too tight people.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

In that case I'm at a loss as to what relevance a four-stringed musical instrument had to the discussion.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Getting back to the topic, if I use "git-rot" (which you could have just said "use git-rot" without just saying "git-rot"), i have to drill a hole in the chest? I don't wan't to ruin it more than it already is. For starters, do i wipe it with a wet cloth/napkin, or leave it the way it is?

Reply to
podgorny

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Getting back to the topic, if I use "git-rot" (which you could have > just said "use git-rot" without just saying "git-rot"), i have to drill > a hole in the chest? I don't wan't to ruin it more than it already is. > For starters, do i wipe it with a wet cloth/napkin, or leave it the way > it is? >

If you truly want to screw things up, then start using git-rot.

It is strictly a lame excuse for not doing the job correctly.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What would you suggest I use? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
podgorny

What would you suggest I use? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
podgorny

Don't have a clue what your project is.

What I saw was "Git-rot", a high cost, low viscosity product palmed off on wooden boat owners as a way of not having to replace rotted wood.

Usually, after using git-rot, the boat owner still have to replace the rotted timbers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hello,

My project is to preserve what is left of the wooden chest. How do I acomplish this task?

Thanks!

Reply to
podgorny

Wed, Aug 9, 2006, 10:04am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth wonder: Getting back to the topic, if I use "git-rot" (which you could have just said "use git-rot" without just saying "git-rot"), i have to drill a hole in the chest? I don't wan't to ruin it more than it already is. For starters, do i wipe it with a wet cloth/napkin, or leave it the way it is?

This is just a guess mind you, because you don't bother saying who you're addressing, that you're referring to my response to your post.

If you go back and read my post again you'll see that I did "not" just say "git-rot". My original post was GIT-ROT?, with a question mark. The reason I simply did not say "Use GIT-ROt" was because I was leaving it up to you whether to use it or not. Me, with a cheap-ass chest like that, I'd probably just toss it. But, if I wanted to try to preserve it, for whatever reason, I'd possibly epoxy some thin plywood on the inside, or cardboard, or fibreglass it. If you're paying atterntion you'll see I used the word "possibly", so don't come back later and try to claim I "told" you to do it that way.

Personally, I now think you're just trying to jerk our chains.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

What is your purpose in this preservation? Do you need a chest in which to store things or is it a historical artifact that goes in a museum exhibit or is it evidence in a trial or do you have fond memories of it from childhood or what? Methods appropriate for one aren't appropriate for another.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just purchased it, it's an old chest that I would like to preserve to look at not to use.

Reply to
podgorny