Preserving a wooden chest

Page 1 of 2

Good day!
I acquired a wooden chest that's about 50 years old. Actually the top is wooden, the other 5 sides are pressed wood and they're slowly by surely falling apart. Is there anything I can do to prevent the deterioration of the chest? Thanks for the help.
Wed, Aug 2, 2006, 8:40am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth query: Good day! I acquired a wooden chest that's about 50 years old. Actually the top is wooden, the other 5 sides are pressed wood and they're slowly by surely falling apart. Is there anything I can do to prevent the deterioration of the chest? Thanks for the help.
GIT-ROT?
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal
have a chest augmentation
There does not seem to be any rot, bu the pressed wood seems to crumble little by little
Thu, Aug 3, 2006, 7:35am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth proclaim: There does not seem to be any rot, bu the pressed wood seems to crumble little by little
Sigh. I wasn't suggetsing there was any rot. Seemingly you have obviously never heard of GIT-ROT, and equally obviously you apparently did not bother to look it up.
I'm not about to do your homework for you. However, GIT-ROT is a special epoxy often used in situations like yours, not necessarily just for rotted wood. Drill holes part way thru, insert GIT-ROT, it sets up, and viola, you've got a solid fix.
Or, you could cut some thin plywood, and laminate that on. 'Course then you'd have to paint it or sumthin'. You could even use cardboard for that, soak it with epoxy and let it set. Loads of options, all you've gotta do is think about it.
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Maybe he misread it as GOT-ROT? :)
Thu, Aug 3, 2006, 4:59pm snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) did put out: Maybe he misread it as GOT-ROT? :)
Or GET-ROT.
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal
J T wrote:

Obviously you've never heard a viola or heard of the word "voila".
Maybe you need a product called PULL-YER-HEAD-OUTTA-YER-ASS.
Gus wrote:

JOAT may be a pain in the butt, but misspelling "voila" doesn't call for such a comment.
<plonk>
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal
J T wrote:

In that case I'm at a loss as to what relevance a four-stringed musical instrument had to the discussion.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Getting back to the topic, if I use "git-rot" (which you could have just said "use git-rot" without just saying "git-rot"), i have to drill a hole in the chest? I don't wan't to ruin it more than it already is. For starters, do i wipe it with a wet cloth/napkin, or leave it the way it is?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Getting back to the topic, if I use "git-rot" (which you could have > just said "use git-rot" without just saying "git-rot"), i have to drill > a hole in the chest? I don't wan't to ruin it more than it already is. > For starters, do i wipe it with a wet cloth/napkin, or leave it the way > it is? >
If you truly want to screw things up, then start using git-rot.
It is strictly a lame excuse for not doing the job correctly.
Lew
What would you suggest I use? Thanks in advance.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
> What would you suggest I use? Thanks in advance.
Don't have a clue what your project is.
What I saw was "Git-rot", a high cost, low viscosity product palmed off on wooden boat owners as a way of not having to replace rotted wood.
Usually, after using git-rot, the boat owner still have to replace the rotted timbers.
Lew
Hello,
My project is to preserve what is left of the wooden chest. How do I acomplish this task?
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What is your purpose in this preservation? Do you need a chest in which to store things or is it a historical artifact that goes in a museum exhibit or is it evidence in a trial or do you have fond memories of it from childhood or what? Methods appropriate for one aren't appropriate for another.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Just purchased it, it's an old chest that I would like to preserve to look at not to use.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

System1 has a "rot fix" epoxy that should be able to soak into the particle board or whatever it's made out of--probably won't go all the way through before it cures but should seal it anyway and give a decent amount of structural integrity. No guarantees though and no guarantee that it won't bleed through the facing, which I presume is veneer.