Preservative coating for crayon

I am building a small outdoor bench for my daughter. I would like to have my grandson (4 years) draw pictures on the seat with crayon and preserve it with a weather-proof coating of some kind.
What can I cover crayon with that will not cause it to run? Second choice would be to use some kind of colored markers instead of crayon. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

John,
Crayon's are made from wax and I doubt anything less than a poured epoxy application will stick. I'm assuming that the pictures would be colored in with the crayon's and that there will be large areas covered with crayon. The colored markers would most likely be your best bet covered with a water-based exterior poly. Oil based poly might create a problem with the marker pens which are alcohol based inks (usually?).
Bob S.
Sun, Jun 4, 2006, 7:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (JohnHoward) doth asketh: <snip> Second choice would be to use some kind of colored markersinstead of crayon. Any suggestions?
No crayon. I use water base poly over black marker, no prob. So I would take it that colored marker would be the same. Try it and see, if you're not sure.
JOAT Never confuse "Oh, I can't do this!" with "Oh, I've never done this!". - JOAT
Colored markers will fade rapidly in outdoor light.
(John Howard) doth asketh: <snip> Second choice would be to use some kind of colored markersinstead of crayon. Any suggestions?
No crayon. I use water base poly over black marker, no prob. So I would take it that colored marker would be the same. Try it and see, if you're not sure.
JOAT Never confuse "Oh, I can't do this!" with "Oh, I've never done this!". - JOAT
Hi John,
I suggest that you contact Crayola.com and ask them this question. I am sure that they will come up with an answer. I am sure that they will be thrilled at what you want to do. I personally think that it is a great idea. It will be loved for many years to come.
start at http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/contact/index.cfm then select the tab that says "contact us (ask a question)"
Zap