Preparing moisture-resistant MDF

Could anyone give me some advice on MDF.

I've got some moisture-resistant (green stuff) MDF panels in my bathroom. They're to get painted ultimately, but I don't know how to best prepare them first.

diluted PVA? International MDF Primer?

Because the MDF itself is moisture-resistant, does this affect how I prime it?

Would I be better to use oil-based or water-based primers.

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Eno

Reply to
Eno Case

I work as one of many cabinetmakers in a small award-winning high-end shop, and I work with materials ranging from both flat and profiled paint-grade mdf as well as good quality veneered sheet goods and solid fine and exotic woods.

However, being a cabinetmaker I only make the units, not finish them. The good news is that we have a top-notch finishing department, and I posed your question to the head of that department.

Our finisher reports that any material going into a high-humidity environment (such as a bathroom or a kitchen) should be primed with an oil-based primer. Basically, oil-based primer and paint will be resistant to mildew, making removal just a matter of sponge-wiping the surface whenever you see the beginning traces of mildew.

I do hope this answers your question.

-Chris

Reply to
Thenie