predrilling for a #2 screw

Page 2 of 2

http://www.mcmaster.com / Greg

I get #2 in steel from my local Ace Hardware. I predrill the screw hole with a small wire size drill bit (obtained from my local hobby store), then wax the screws before driving.
As a final note, you may want to put a little padded f-clamp around the box back to squeeze the thin stock as you are driving the screw. Those little 1/2" hinges have holes so close to the barrels that in some woods the tiny screw can make the side of the box bow or even split around the screw as it's driven ... DAMHIKT.
I figure since most other posters ignored the fact you don't have #2 steel screws, I'd complicate matters by suggesting some other hardware all together. :-P
I'm assuming you're using wood screws, so another option is to use #2 machine scews and drill and tap the hole just like for metal work. According to the Lee Valley catalog (I think) a machine screw into a tapped hole actually has more holding power than a similar sized wood screw.
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:19:01 -0500, "Sam the Cat"

I use a gimlet. Lee Valley sells a pretty inexpensive set. RJ