Powermatic mystery?

Page 2 of 3  
On 6/2/2012 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

...
...
Well, it doesn't say he didn't, either...
It explains that he realized/believed he could improve the bottom line of the lumber business by selling dressed lumber so "Instead of purchasing a planing machine from an existing manufacturer, he decided to build his own in his workshop...".
I read that that is the year he did it.
Whether the company was named Powermatic or not, it was the predecessor and the bloodline of the machines.
I'm happy enough if that's the point Powermatic wants to use it's fine w/ me.
Any number of businesses began in precisely such a manner--McCormick, Deere, Disston, ...
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 11:25 AM, dpb wrote:

...
...
And I'd be quite comfortable that he had been in the lumber business for some time well before that.

...
Otherwise, why mention 1921 as having anything whatever to do w/ anything?

<http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?ide5
There's a point at which cynicism just loses any meaning in automagically asserting the worst possible interpretation any bending of statement can have...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 1:07 PM, dpb wrote:

You're kidding, right?
Are you positive that a poster on a website forum, a self appointed "historian" at that, is a credible source and is not just as gullible and mistaken as you could be, and is not using the exact same source as you?
You will have to do better than that ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 1:44 PM, Swingman wrote:

Positive enough, yes.

No, I will (and shall) not.
Take it up w/ Powermatic and OWWM and anybody else you disagree with if you're so certain they're in error; not me.
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 3:41 PM, dpb wrote:

Come now, it is you who has been adding into the original article, that was posted as a cite, assumptions that are clearly, and unarguably, not stated therein.
If you are so confident in them you should at least owe it to your own assumptions to do better than the above.
It's simple ... this is a discussion forum, and if you can't live with apparent inconsistencies in your assumptions being pointed out and discussed, don't post them in the first place.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 5:40 PM, Swingman wrote: ...

I added nothing other than the assertion that I don't disagree w/ their assessment of the company beginnings and reading the logical conclusion that was written rather than twisting it to make something of it that is negative that wasn't intended.
Consequently, you're the one who inferred the beginnings of the company should not be dated to 1921 as the article says; not I.
If you don't agree w/ their assessment, it's not me you have an argument with but them.
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 6:05 PM, dpb wrote:

Nothing logical about your assumptions. They are assumptions on your part that you have put forth, not stated anywhere in the article.
You are reading in what you would like to believe, NOT what is written.

I have done nothing but state EXACTLY what is stated in the article, NOT making assumptions, as you are:
~ The ONLY thing stated in the article about the date 1921 is that he was in the lumber and timber business.
~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.
Everything else is a figment of your imagination.
Live with it ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 9:14 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

...
It's also Powermatic's imagination, then.
Complain to them, not me.
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 9:17 AM, dpb wrote:

Now we're getting somewhere ... precisely my point all along. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 9:19 AM, Swingman wrote:

How's that? You claim there's something wrong; I'm quite happy (in fact I like attribution to the founder's vision) to have the roots attributed to the actual beginnings of the products instead of some artificial business name.
As I say, if you think the exposition isn't accurate or is misleading, ask them to clarify it and see where you get with that in discrediting the information as written.
Otherwise, go away...
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 9:44 AM, dpb wrote:

Yes, _you_ ... but we already decided that above.
> Otherwise, go away...
If _you_ can't stand the heat, Bubba ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 9:48 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

_I'M_ comfy... :)
--



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/2/2012 7:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Huh, huh ... the article being discussed was being used as proof that the following was wrong ... it very clearly does NO such thing ... instead being a perfect example of a vaguely written, company propaganda somehow becoming fact in folk's minds:
On 5/31/2012 4:12 PM, Swingman wrote:
> Festool - 1925 > Powermatic - 1928
Some of us will continue to cuss, fuss and discuss things woodworking, from the finer points of making zero clearance inserts, to pointing out inconsistencies in a tool company's advertising and logo; if anyone has a problem with that in any manner, they should either hit the next key, or decline to comment on the subject.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Youse guys have had a dozen (or more) posts batted back and forth on the propaganda issue for days now.

Pointing out the obvious, eh?
Just sayin...
-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 12:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Obviously not to everyone ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ohhhhhhh, never mind.
-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/3/2012 12:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You have an uncanny proficiency of pointing out the obvious.
Just sayin....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

So do _you_ remember Swingy's post a while back re: "obvious"?
-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/1/2012 5:45 PM, Bill wrote:

They are not the same company, Powermatic is owned by the same company that owns Jet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.