Powermatic III tablesaw questions...

My brother-in-law has a Powermatic III table saw that is in need of a new motor. Any ideas on where to buy a replacement for this unit? Has a Baldor 3hp motor.

Also, is the Powermatic III the same as a Powermatic 66?

Thanks for the help,

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

The "III" you're talking about is most likely the Powermatic trademark. I think it's a stylized "PM".

With (only) a 3 HP motor, it's probably Model 66. Powermatic does make bigger cabinet saws. Mine has the modle number stamped in a plate below the blade raising handle.

I'd start here for a new motor:

I think it's a standard motor. If not, I'm sure someone will correct me. :-) There may be a NEMA frame (i.e. C) marked on the motor nameplate. With that, you should be able to get a motor that fits almost anywhere.

I'd also check a local motor rewind shop or two and Dealers Electric: before I bought a new one.

Bob S

Reply to
Bob Summers

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it.

What do you mean by checking a local motor rewind shop before I bought a new one. Would the motor I have possible be repairable, or would these places have other types of motors? Would you recommend a used/reconditioned motor?

I will take a closer look at the saw and get some model numbers, etc. from it.

Thanks again,

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

Baldor is a quality motor. It might be cheaper to get it repaired than to buy a new one. That's the reason we have motor rewind shops in the first place. :-) You didn't say why you want a new one. Common repairs are just replacing the starting switch or capacitor; I would expect a repair for those to be much cheaper than buying a new industrial quality motor. Ditto for a bearing replacement.

I wouldn't worry about a rebuilt/repaired Baldor from a reputable motor rewind shop, unless it was a heavy production environment. If it were a heavy production environment, the cost of a motor would be small compared to the hassle of dealing with a motor problem and I'd probably just buy a new one.

Bob S

I'd take a rebuilt motor from a reputable shop without worries, unless maybe

Reply to
Bob Summers

Get a replacement Baldor

John

Reply to
John Crea

Hi Bob,

The reason for wanting a new one...my brother-in-law told me that he "burned out" the motor while using it. I have no idea what burned out means in his words, be it smoke, or the motor just seized up and stopped working.

I think I will pull the motor and get it to a local repair shop for an estimate. Hopefully it will be one of the items you mention.

By the way, I certainly won't be using this saw for large production jobs...just casual furniture making, and stuff around the house.

Thanks again,

Lynn

used/reconditioned

Reply to