Powermatic 72

Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6 hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into this. Jeff
That's the saw I use. Just replaced the bearings last year - very easy, picked em up at a auto parts store. Its been a great saw for me, (worth $800 with a bes. fence!)
Schroeder

Thanks for replying Mark, that's the kind of advice I like to hear!

IIRC this is a 12" TS if that matters.
Thanks for letting me know Leon, he actually has it listed as a 14" saw with a 3 phase 7hp Leeson motor. Jeff

If you live in a residential area you will also have to equip it with a phase converter to single phase.

Really? I do [live in a residential area]. And I thought I was so smart to keep the three-phase when I had the service upgraded. Thought I had surely killed the 'fridge about ten years ago when I plugged the 20 amp breaker for the dedicated circuit into the wrong slot. I didn't know those 15 watt appliance bulbs could get that bright. And that defroster strip that hides in the divide between the freezer side and the 'fridge side? While I was mesmerized by the light I damn near blistered my left hand.
"Electric Wave" Dave In Houston
Unless you have a phase converter, you need to find out about a replacement single phase motor. Some of the older Powermatics have a problem with motor replacement due to cabinet restrictions.
Go here http://www.owwm.com and look through the archives on Powermatics. This saw has been discussed several times by several folks. Look for Robert Vaughn comments. He is a Powermatic field repair rep.
The 72 is a 12/14" saw with a 1" arbor which can be a pain in the ass on blade selection.
P.I._Maine wrote:

I've got three-phase at my house; maybe I should take it off your hands. Where'd you say you're picking it up?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

I have one and I like it there are a few things you should know about it
It's a 14/12" saw with a 1" arbor When you mount a 14" blade on it the blade will NOT retract below the table surface They are big and heavy If you can't use the 7.5 hp 3 phase motor I would buy it from you as some one "changed" mine to a standard frame motor and I'm looking for another ( you can get a single phase 5hp motor for it)
William