Powermatic 72

Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they been a good saw in the past? It's got a biesemeyer fence and a 7hp Leeson motor. I can pick it up for $800 obo. Is it possible to replace bearings on these saws if need be? I'm headed down to take a look at it (about a 6 hour ride), just figured I'd try and gain some advice before jumping into this. Jeff

Reply to
P.I._Maine

That's the saw I use. Just replaced the bearings last year - very easy, picked em up at a auto parts store. Its been a great saw for me, (worth $800 with a bes. fence!)

Reply to
Mark Schroeder

Reply to
P.I._Maine

IIRC this is a 12" TS if that matters.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for letting me know Leon, he actually has it listed as a 14" saw with a 3 phase 7hp Leeson motor. Jeff

Reply to
P.I._Maine

Unless you have a phase converter, you need to find out about a replacement single phase motor. Some of the older Powermatics have a problem with motor replacement due to cabinet restrictions.

Go here

and look through the archives on Powermatics. This saw has been discussed several times by several folks. Look for Robert Vaughn comments. He is a Powermatic field repair rep.

The 72 is a 12/14" saw with a 1" arbor which can be a pa> Does anyone have any advice on the 1970's model Powermatic 72. Have they

Reply to
Pat Barber

I've got three-phase at my house; maybe I should take it off your hands. Where'd you say you're picking it up?

Reply to
New Wave Dave

If you live in a residential area you will also have to equip it with a phase converter to single phase.

Reply to
Leon

Really? I do [live in a residential area]. And I thought I was so smart to keep the three-phase when I had the service upgraded. Thought I had surely killed the 'fridge about ten years ago when I plugged the 20 amp breaker for the dedicated circuit into the wrong slot. I didn't know those 15 watt appliance bulbs could get that bright. And that defroster strip that hides in the divide between the freezer side and the 'fridge side? While I was mesmerized by the light I damn near blistered my left hand.

"Electric Wave" Dave In Houston

Reply to
New Wave Dave

I have one and I like it there are a few things you should know about it

It's a 14/12" saw with a 1" arbor When you mount a 14" blade on it the blade will NOT retract below the table surface They are big and heavy If you can't use the 7.5 hp 3 phase motor I would buy it from you as some one "changed" mine to a standard frame motor and I'm looking for another ( you can get a single phase 5hp motor for it)

William

Reply to
William