Powermatic 60B 8" Jointer

Is anyone familiar with this apparently new Powermatic model 60B jointer? Amazon appears to have a good price on it at $1,016.49; right between the Grizzly G0500 and the Delta DJ-20. My question is what is the bed actually made of. Amazon in the Product Description from the manufacturer describes it as "a 72-inch long sheet metal bed". Surely this machine doesn't have a "sheet metal" bed? I thought it might be a misprint, but it futher states that "Shipping Weight (lbs): 287". At 287 pounds, it might well be a sheet metal bed. I'm planning on ordering it from my local dealer, but I certainly don't want a tinny POS. Any help will be certainly appreciated.
Gary
Looks like cast iron to me. And weighs 287 pounds, exactly. http://www.powermatic.com/PMWood/Tools/Jointer/60A.html
Bob

Duh, that's a model 60A. Perhaps the 60B model is made of tin. Also, 287 pounds is about half of what a DJ20 weighs.
Gary

The weight has to be in error. My son in law just took delivery of a Grizzly G0500 that also has a 72" bed and the shipping weight was about 460# (guessing floor weight to be around 420#). The two are not twins but should be close in terms of weight.
By the way, I spend quite a bit of time climbing all over the G0500 and its manual. This is one good looking piece of machinery. He doesn't have his shop up and going yet so I cannot comment on performance. I have, however, seen some favorable reviews on the Grizzly.
Another poster noted similarity between the Powermatic and Jet machines. Since everyone has merged their equipment is starting to bear family resemblance. I noticed this when I was looking at the Jet JWL 1442 wood lathes. Its legs and other components strongly resemble the bigger Powermatic machines. That's ok so long as they are combining better parts.
Ron

a review: http://tinyurl.com/6vugt
sounds like cast iron tables.
Not sure how it could only weigh 287 pounds. Maybe it is a misprint, because they also list the 54A as weighing 287. But, I wonder how the 60B differs from the 60A. The net weight (after shipping materials are excluded) of my G0500 is 410 pounds. I doubt the Powermatic is a piece of tin, though, and I'm surprised to see that price quite so low. It looks like the 54A has also dropped some within the last 6 months. It's 731.49. The Griz G0500 was 850 to my door, and I wouldn't trade my G0500 in for any other 8" jointer. It is so smooth and solid, and came dialed in right out of the box. It is a fantastic piece of machinery.
Maybe amazon is pricematching someone temporarily on this unit. I see their pricing fluctuate like that often. So, if you have your heart set on it, you might want to act quickly.
Brian.

Like this one:
<http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/JETWood/Tools/JJ8CS.html
Paint does a lot! <G>
Barry

This is not a Powermatic. Obvious differences, besides the name and paint color, include the switch and the table adjustment mechanism, 66" vs. a 72' table.
Gary

Gary

<<< snip >>>

crate. This is in line with my Model 60 which looks the same as the Model 60A.
However, the Model 60B has replaced the 60A. The 60B is made in Taiwan and the bed casting is thinner than either the 60 A or B, strengthened with ribs. It does sell for between $1,100 and $1,200. According to the manual for the B, it weighs about 400# without packing. The manual for both the A and B are available at the Powermatic website.
Tin Woodsmn