Power Twist belt on the Shop Fox W1741 Jointer (brother to Grizzly G0490)

I have a Shop Fox W1741 jointer (very similar to the Grizzly G0490). Very nice machine with the exception that the startup belt snap and power down shudder are annoying. I tried a range of tensions with no real effect. I know others have had a similar experience. The noise apparently is not a problem operationally, but I feel that I should not hear this in a machine that is otherwise a very nice design.

I have tried one of the Power Twist belts in this application. Although it damps out the vibrations, I see that it does this because it is quite flexible (it stretches quite a bit). This characteristic causes problems in this jointer design, because the belt path is narrow and the large amount of stretch allows the slack side to impact the edge of the slot for the belt. In addition, the power twist belt (a 1/2 inch belt) stands proud of the pully and tends to rub on nearby structures. The old belt was 1/2 inch also (or rather about 0.48 inch wide), but it did not stand out on the pully as much. I ground out the belt slot in the cabinet and it has pretty well solved the problem, but I would like to have seen more improvement (for the $30 the belt cost) with less rework on my part. I am fairly well satisfied with the end result after my rework.

Here is what I would like to learn about belt designs from this effort. I know that the newer tablesaws (SawStop, for example) have the flat ribbed belts, but I also know that the components are quite expensive. My questions are:

  1. Are these flat ribbed belt designs better suited to an application such as this (a pretty powerful 3 HP motor that obviously stretches the belts on startup)?
2, Is there a newer belt technology that still fits the standard V- belt pullies, but possibly addresses the stretch and control problems in this design?
  1. Has anyone used the 3/8 inch Power Twist design on this jointer? I don't feel moved to make another purchase to find out.
Reply to
eganders

Snip

Typically belts to not stretch because of the HP. They stretch from use just as a chain would stretch. These ribbed/serpentine belts have been used on automotive applications for 25+ years and do well on small high rpm pullys.

Perhaps new to wood working equipment but not new to todays standards. There are industrial and automotive belts. Typically industrial are not as well balanced or as strong as automotive belts. I would try an automotive v-belt that is notched on the back. These notched belts are suited for tight radius pullies much like those seen on wood working equipment. The industrial belts do better at slower speeds and on larger pullies. Look for Dayco, Gates, or Goodyear belts, in that order.

Reply to
Leon

Many Harley-Davidson motorcycles come with belt-drive standard. That's over 50 horsepower (Harley doesn't give horsepower specs anymore, just torque) and the belt is exposed to weather besides. No problems.

Have you tried an aramid belt? Should address any stretch problem. Gates "Predator" is one brand that should be fairly easy to find. Grainger lists aramid belts in sizes from 30 inches on up.

Reply to
J. Clarke