Power tools in the Kitchen?

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some cookies today and could not find any in the house. How hard can it be to bake cookies? I like peanut butter cookies, I thought I would give making them a try. Turns out, it is a lot more work than I thought. If I had baked before, I might have been able to deduce that the recipe was sized to make four thousand cookies and I could have reduced it. I do remember watching my Mom make cookies when I was a young boy, and only when it was too late did I realize I should have mixed the butter and sugar first and not added the butter last. I broke the wooden spoon trying to mix the butter with the peanut butter, sugar and eggs. I got out Katarina's toy mixer, but it has no torque and was starting to give off a funny smell. I was running through my mind what power tools I had that could help with this. My DeWALT 300 RPM mixer drill was out on loan and my mortar mixing paddle would take too long to clean anyway. Probably for the best, the mortar paddle was not stainless steel, and who wants yellow paint in their cookies. I found my Makita cordless drill. I blew it off with the compressor and wiped it down. The mixer paddle was easy to chuck in the drill. I was able to keep the RPM low and after trying unsuccessfully to mix in the butter by hand for 15 minutes, I had it mixed in about three minutes. Since the mixture was quite thick, I also used it to mix in the flour and other dry ingredients.

filled the baking pan a number of times, and when all was said and done, instead of trimming windows today, I spent 5 hours baking cookies. It would have been slightly shorter if I had made sure I had all the ingredients before I started and didn't have to run to Mom's for "Magic Baking Powder".

I took a couple containers of cookies to my folks tonight for them and my sisters' family. I will be taking bags of them to work for the next little bit, so free cookies will be on the counter at Fed Tool for the next several years.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Reply to
David F. Eisan

If I tried something like that at my house I would be SHOT!

David, I am dissapointed with you. Using some fancy, cordless drill to mix cookies. Aren't you the guy who rehabilitates big iron? Surely you could have converted some big WW I machine to do this task!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Send some to Baltimore. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Hi de Hi there friends and neighbors I too have brought power tools to the food service, first using a sawzall to split and quarter deer. In the last year I started making venison sausage and balogna, it started getting so darn spendy to get the stuff made, so I made a smoker outta an old fridge (also used for smoking salmon and trout) had a electric meat grinder but didn't do a very good job at stuffing so last fall purchased one with a little more h.p. next problem how to mix the meat with spices and pork cut in. meat mixer was kinda high priced so I pulled out my 1/2" variable speed drill with a mud paddle and 5 gal bucket, maybe not the greatest method but cost effective. I do about 25 lbs to batch, did 6 batchs for self and others this passed season. can't wait til summer so's I can go catch some trout and salmon again. happy new year everyone Ross (aquahalic)

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

"David F. Eisan" wrote in news:DaidnTNKwKyi5MDUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I threatened several times to buy my mother a drill press to use as a mixer. The way I see it, those kind of tools are designed to run for 15 minutes straight to mix marshmallows (you're sorely deprived if you haven't had homemade) unlike the cheap ones you get everywhere anymore.

Got her a Kitchenade stand mixer a few years ago, and she's enjoyed it ever since. No holes have been drilled yet, though. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A spokeshave with a little elbow grease would have sufficed, methinks ...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Why bother with the kitchen? Drag the mixing bowl over to the Bridgeport. Fire 'em in the glazing kiln.

Reply to
MikeWhy

When the Pharmacology Lab next to mine wore out their expensive "LAB GRADE" tissue homogenizer drive unit I recommended that they replace it with a drill press so I went to the local Delta dealer and selected one with the speed range they needed and they bought it. Saved a lot of money and I think it looks a lot more impressive than the official machinery. Also, the drill press was much easier to use. Marc (who still wants cookies)

Reply to
marc rosen

IIRC - we could probably search the archives for a thread discussing this very thing about 7-8 years ago. You did good brother David . . . however; the cookies never made it to Las Vegas so please be sure you put enough postage on them! LOL!

Jummy

Reply to
Jimmy Mac