Power Screwdriving bit

It seems that I always end up with a bit gets stripped quickly. The Phillip driver is the worth of them all. I try to adjust the toque of my drill but it does not appear to work all that good. Up to now I used to get my screwdriving bits at Sears or Home Depot. I quickly learned that they are all made in China. This morning I picked up at Wal-Mart a Robertson #3 bit labelled Vermont American USA. There are no stamping that shows made in USA. I can only assumed that because its stamped USA that it is made in the US. Hopefully they will perform longer the those stamped made in China.
snipped-for-privacy@nb.sympatico.ca wrote:

I wouldn't count on it. I bought a Vermont America drill bit once. I was drilling a pen blank and the bit bound. The flutes on the bit twisted to where they ended up being reeds (straight).
I only buy major brand bits now. DeWalt's bit seem to hold up fairly well.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
snipped-for-privacy@nb.sympatico.ca wrote:

VA, like many others, has wide range of products, some still US-made, others imports. Which is what is on the card packaging. At WalMart, I'd expect the cheapest as that's what their business model supports.
Your local _real_ building supply will have bulk drivers/bits at comparable (or maybe better, even in bulk) that will be far better than what you're likely to find at any borg. But, in general, you must remember that driver bits are, in essence, a consumable, just like pencil lead or erasers in the office.

You may find that the #3 may be too big. More common are the #2 bits. Most any hardware store or home center will sell these square drive bits. Also www.mcfeeleys.com .
I only use Phillips bits to remove screws. I always use square drive to put in screws.
Leon wrote:

???!!!
Okay, I'll bite. Are the screws themselves Phillips or square drive?
Mark
redbelly (in snipped-for-privacy@48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com) said:
| Leon wrote: | || I only use Phillips bits to remove screws. I always use square || drive to put in screws. | | ???!!! | | Okay, I'll bite. Are the screws themselves Phillips or square | drive?
Yes. <vbg>
Screws coming out are phillips, screws going in are square drive.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Heh heh. Okay, I got it now.

Now that is funny!
Soft of like the cars on the www.nissanusa.com web site must be made in the USA. Or Cannon USA cameras are build in the USA. or like the . . . . . . you get the idea.
Take a few minutes and order from Lee Valley or McFeeleys.
Soft of like the cars on the www.nissanusa.com web site must be made in the USA. Or Cannon USA cameras are build in the USA. or like the . . . . . . you get the idea.
Take a few minutes and order from Lee Valley or McFeeleys.
answer: Thanks, your advise is well taken about Lee Valley. As far as Cannon USA I do not know> I just bought a Canon Power Shot A710. At the bottom its stamped made in Japan. As for Cannon USA: Cannon-USA is located at 1472 East River Road Grand Island and they are Manufacturer of hard wood tables and furniture. However, you will find Cannon Digital camera are made in Hong Kong. They are a low priced look alike of the Canon Camera. In the Philippines they are widely used and liked by the local people and non for profit organisations. FWIW
wrote in message

some bits better than others
-
but only by a little bit.
--

"bent" < snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:1166901550 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net...

You know what bits I find to be really good? The ones that come with those hand-held "stick" screwdrivers. I've used a couple for years with little degregation of the tip.
Puckdropper

Go to a commercial tool store or a commercial drywall supply house, they carry well tempered bits. Apex brand is one of the best, but others can be quite good. McFeelys has excellent screws and bits if you want to work with mail order. http://www.mcfeelys.com /. It could be argued they have better screws than you can even buy at the Borg(s).
If the bit is slipping and/or stripping either the tip or the screw, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. You are not pushing hard enough. It takes a great deal of pressure to keep up with the thread speed on a fast gun. If you slow the speed way down, it is a bit easier but still requires genuine pressure. Some bits are tempered too hard and you snap the tip off, some are too soft and lose their shape. The problems really have more to do with the operator.
Robertson tips work well with Robertson screws. They do not do well with Philips head and vice versa.
__________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

There would be no argument, McFeeleys screws are superrior to the plated Velveta cheese screws that the Borg sells.

Spend the money for an impact drill. The bit reseats itself between impacts, meaning you don't have to push hard and fight the torque of the drill. Your bits will last a lot longer. Even the cheap ones. You won't strip the heads of the screws near as often. I've been using a Dewalt and a Ryobi daily for the last year. Dewalt was $259 with battery and charger. Ryobi was $59 without the battery and charger. They both have 1/4" quick change hex chucks. My other battery drills with screw chucks went to Salvation Army a long time ago. Make your life a little easier........
Merry Christmas
gw