Power Hand Planer

I am thinking about buying the Craftsman 7-amp Hand Planer. Can these do reasonable job of taking the place of a thickness planer?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
ironhelm

Well... once you've gotten around to destroying an awful lot of termite fodder getting the hang of using one of those things you'll probably come to the conclusion that you'ld a been a long way ahead if you hadn't spent all that money on practice wood and just gone ahead and bought a thickness planer in the first place. At least that was my experience :-)

Steve

Steve

Mike,

the short answer is no. Handheld electric planers are more a carpenters tool than a cabinetmakers, mainly for skimming a bit of door or hogging off a piece of trim. Some here may disagree, but the majority will support my statement. Get a thicknesser instead.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

I have a Bosch 6.5 amp 3.5" and it's quite good. The Craftsman has a slower speed but you probably won't notice it if you go that way. I like the versatility.

Agkistrodon

Reply to
Agki Strodon

No.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But it does not replace a thickness planer at all.

Agki

Reply to
Agki Strodon

No.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

No....they are not really intended for use on anything wider than their blade length for instance the common 3-1/4 size planers are intended for stock up to about 3" to 3-1/8" really, wider than that & you will get a lap mark that will require sanding.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Much of this thread has been influenced by the misuse, by poster or tool manufacturer or both, of the term "planer."

The "Craftsman 7-amp Hand Planer" is actually an electric hand plane.

A tool put to a different use: "planer," is also correctly identified as a thickness planer.

Reply to
Wm Jones

Reply to
Gerry

It's an electric hand plane...no "r" on the end. A planer is a different tool, used for a different purpose.

Reply to
Wm Jones

Reply to
Gerry