Power Hand Planer

I am thinking about buying the Craftsman 7-amp Hand Planer. Can these do reasonable job of taking the place of a thickness planer?
Thanks, Mike

fodder getting the hang of using one of those things you'll probably come to the conclusion that you'ld a been a long way ahead if you hadn't spent all that money on practice wood and just gone ahead and bought a thickness planer in the first place. At least that was my experience :-)
Steve www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

Mike,
the short answer is no. Handheld electric planers are more a carpenters tool than a cabinetmakers, mainly for skimming a bit of door or hogging off a piece of trim. Some here may disagree, but the majority will support my statement. Get a thicknesser instead.
cheers,
Greg
We did find that they are great for making canoe paddles also. I see it more as a shaper than a thicknesser. JG
Greg Millen wrote:

I have a Bosch 6.5 amp 3.5" and it's quite good. The Craftsman has a slower speed but you probably won't notice it if you go that way. I like the versatility.
Agkistrodon

But it does not replace a thickness planer at all.
Agki
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote in message

No.

No.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

No....they are not really intended for use on anything wider than their blade length for instance the common 3-1/4 size planers are intended for stock up to about 3" to 3-1/8" really, wider than that & you will get a lap mark that will require sanding.
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

Much of this thread has been influenced by the misuse, by poster or tool manufacturer or both, of the term "planer."
The "Craftsman 7-amp Hand Planer" is actually an electric hand plane.
A tool put to a different use: "planer," is also correctly identified as a thickness planer.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:07:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

It's an electric hand plane...no "r" on the end. A planer is a different tool, used for a different purpose.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325
Whilst I personally agree with your correction, it appears that Makita, Ryobi, Hitachi, Bosch and other call it a "planer". A froogle search for "electric hand plane" returned only remote control airplanes:-) Gerry