Power Drill Recommendations

My 4.5amp SKIL 3/8" keyless-chuck drill burned-up last night while I was trying to drill some 3/16" holes in masonry. (Yes... I was using a masonry bit). The drill is about two years old, but I only use it on weekends -- and usually only on soft wood. I'll be doing more work this year, though, and I'd like something that is heavy-duty-enough to handle work in hardwoods and soft metals -- with the occasional excursion into masonry and thin steel. My thanks for your recommendations.
Get a 1/2 inch drill for heavy duty stuff Get GOOD 3/8 inch drills, and avoid the really cheap stuff at places like HD or Lowes no matter what the amp rating
3/8 inch is lighter in weight and the low end 3/8 drills just are not up to drilling masonry. My PC 3/8 is also rated at 4.5a but my 1/2 Milwaukee is rated at 7.5a
John
On 5 Jan 2004 19:16:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (hdmundt) wrote:

On 5 Jan 2004 19:16:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (hdmundt) wrote:

https://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/met/html/images/largeprod/5397-6-lg.jpg
(hdmundt) wrote:

$150 is a bit steep for me. What would be the best in the $90-100 range?
--
Best regards
Han

Makita makes a 1/2" hammer-drill for about $90 available at home centers. If overloaded and damaged, it's not worth repairing.
However, it's fairly light, can be switched between hammer and drill mode, and comes with a plastic case.
I recently used it to substitute for a 7/8" rotary hammer when it conked out on a job.
snipped-for-privacy@webbox.com (Tom Kendrick) wrote in

Thanks Tom!
--
Best regards