Powder Post Beetles!!! Help!

Hi all. I'm somewhat new to woodworking, but dove in and am trying to swim. However, I think I got duped. I bought a pretty large supply of black walnut. I've noticed sawdust piles among the wood, which I am aware is the tell-tale sign of beetles (is it wood post or powder post beetle? no matter). There are the small holes in the wood to confirm my fears. The seller is long gone. How do I get rid of these things?? They may have actually come from some old shelving I tore down to put up my wood rack, so I may not be the seller's fault. I can't trash all of this wood, it's something like 500 bf, and is in good shape for the most part (at least what's visible). Does anyone know of any pesticides I can use? Where to get them? Who to call? HELP!

Reply to
77clearly

Your local pest control company, for both certain identification and treatment, if necessary (it could be an old infestation and the moisture content low enough for them to have moved on).

500bf of walnut should be worth spending a few buck on, but be prepared to tent and fumigate a stack if the infestation is indeed current.

As far as the holes ... once the critters are gone, the holes add a certain "cachet" to the wood, IMO.

Reply to
Swingman

Courtesy JOAT, not too long ago:

POWDERPOST BEETLES (VA)

POWDERPOST BEETLES (KY)

POWDERPOST BEETLES

BEETLES (OH)

POWDERPOST BEETLES (IA)

BEETLES (WV)
BEETLES AND OLDHOUSE BORERS
OTHER PESTS
AFFECTING WOODEN STRUCTURES (KY)
BEETLE POSTCARD

Chuck Taylor

The usual treatment for PPB is killer chemicals. You, fortunately can take the wood to a drying kiln and have the wood dried. That will kill the critters in all stages of their nasty lives and you will have a wonderful pile of dry lumber. Here in Maine it is not difficult to find a kiln that will do things like this......in the big city it may be different. Dave

Reply to
Dave W