Powder Actuated Fastening

I care.

Yes, he gets a lot of points for having the balls to make an apology. I have to give him credit for that. The big difference it that others participate and add to the value of the group. Rob Lee is a perfect example of giving his time to answer specific questions about his products as well as general questions. Same with Jim from McFeelys, Steve Knight and a few others. If Len is interested in woodworking and participates in discussions, he will soon be know for his generosity and I'm sure many of us would like to reciprocate by doing business with him.

Where do you draw the line? How about Ron Popiel posting weekly specials? If no one ever complains or comments, we will be over run with advertising. Yes, perhaps I'm a bit of a newsgroup cop, but it is to maintain a good group for all of us.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The orginal advertiser posted interesting information. If you think he is a spammer causing the festering trash in your mail box, then you are nuts. Leave your crap at home.

Reply to
Ray_Manor

ramset studs can be used for a lot of things, but attaching wood to concrete is one of the more common ones.

Reply to
bridger

And this has to do with woodshops how? I don't attach projects to concrete walls or floors.

I know what powder actuated tools are used for; I've used them; I've even rearranged some woodworkinga areas with them; they're about as commonly useful in a woodworking shop as is a MIG welder, maybe a little less.

Reply to
Charlie Self

LRod, I'd be glad to help answer any questions anyone may have on powder actuated fastening. I know I'm risking getting flamed here, but there's also a forum on our website with an "Ask Dr. P.A.T" category, where our resident powder actuated tool expert will answer any questions on fastening, applications, repair, cleaning, etc. I won't post a link, because once again, I'm not trying to offend. To answer your question on certification, LRod, from what I understand if the tool is to be used for personal use, no certification is required. Of course, we'd encourage ANYONE using a powder tool to take the brief training course. It never hurts to learn the safety precautions for using a new tool. For contractors or professional use, OSHA requires each user to have certification. Any tool operator not certified is subject to OSHA fines.

-Len Schlegel

Pins and Loads

what woodshops have to do with powder actuated tools is irrelevant to this conversation.

your choice of attachment surfaces is irrelevant to this conversation.

do you or don't you?

so they do have relevance in even your woodshop.

welding is a great process to have in a wood shop. I use it to make and repair tools, sometimes make hardware, that kind of thing.

so basically I know what you're getting at; that discussion of ramset stuff is off topic for the wreck. That's bullshit, though. if this was rec.cabinetmaking or rec.furniturebuilding I could see it, but this is rec.woodworking. topics vary all over the place here and OT stuff is tolerated widely. the discussion of tools used to attach wood to concrete is just as on topis as a discussion of predatory billing practices on the part of woodworking magazines, but I haven't seen you complaining about that.

Reply to
bridger

"Lenny Schlegel" wrote in news:W4Lke.182$gk3.131@trndny07:

FWIW - I don't consider your post SPAM at all. I have zero need for one of your tools, but felt obliged to let *you* know I didn't object to your post.

I'll even consider your target newsgroup "topical". (I assume you posted in alt.home.repair.)

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Today.

Only I didn't use a Hilti, but I did use a hammer drill with some Tapcons. (Tapcons are pricey, but so are concrete nails) I had to fasten some furring strips to a concrete Granted, that hammer drill isn't as fast as a Hilti (powder actuated hammer tool, or whatever they're called these days), but it's not annoyingly slow either, especially considering the time it takes to load a new nail, and set the cartridge in a powder driven nailer.

Side note: Powder actuators are made for concrete. It would shatter brick, likely as not.

Just thinking about it, and completely unscientifically, I'd guess that in the trades, it's the framing crews that carry use the most powder driven hammers. They're usually nailing to a flat concrete floor. The rest of the trades, especially plumbers and electricians tend to use hammer drills; better control on vertical concrete walls. Besides, they usually have a couple of hammer drills for drill through concrete.

I don't have a powder actuator, but I've used them and my BIL has a Remington. (I think he like the noise.)

Can you say "deaf" for several hours?? Those suckers are loud.

Just chatting...not preaching

James...

Reply to
J&KCopeland

Say what? You might try making sense here.

Actually, no, they don't. I've never used one in my own shop, which is a wood building with a wood floor.

Great way to burn a shop down, too.

As bullshit flows, yours just plops. Discussion makes sense to me. Advertising does not. You don't like my definition of spam? Tough shit, added to your bullshit.

What predatory marketing practices of woodworking magazines are you writing about? The dozens that have not cropped up here? Because that's what the original discussion was about, spam, and there have been NO spam from any magazine that I know of to date. OT is widely tolerated and should be. Your intransigence is a bit weird, particularly inasmuch as the OP has backed off, and is willing to go along with the overall group attitude.

Reply to
Charlie Self

And steel...

And the smell. Ah, I love the smell of cordite in the morning. Smells like...victory! (paraphrased)

Suffering with tinnitus and constant ringing these last 45 years from youthful indiscretion (i.e. no hearing protection while shooting), I'm VERY aggressive these days with the application of my David Clarks. Including (especially) when using my Remington.

Reply to
LRod

People who reward spammers by giving them money, cause spammers to spam more, and cause more people to spam.

If you refuse to see that, well, I guess I know where you buy your meds.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Without trying to make any more trouble, it seems as there are more people who have replied in this group who weren't offended or weren't upset at my attempt of letting this group know about the services my website provides. What I'm failing to understand is if this newsgroup is public and non-moderated, shouldn't the option to open the thread or not depend on the reader's preference? For all of the talk about spamming and bandwidth, it seems that more bandwith was wasted on flaming me to bits repeatedly. I'm sorry, Mr. Hinz, if pinsandloads.com has somehow infringed on your duty to police this group. I find it ironic that the very people who claim to preserve the integrity of the group have attacked almost any comment in defense, or in acceptance of my apology. In actuality, aside from the namecalling, this thread has led to some meaningful discussion of powder tools, user certification, and applications.

Reply to
Pins and Loads

Thank you, sir, for not rushing to judgment.

Reply to
Pins and Loads

Some serious questions:

Did you read the regular postings in the newsgroup "news.announce.newusers"?

Did you do _any_ of the things that are recommended in those advisories?

Were you aware that most newsgroups have a 'charter' -- a document that describes what is 'acceptable behavior' in that particular newsgroup?

Did you make any attempt to locate such a document covering 'rec.woodworking' before posting a commercial solicitation to that newsgroup?

Can you state what _possible_ relevance you thought your tools have to people engaged in "RECREATIONAL woodworking" -- cabinet-making, fine furniture, wood-carving, 'turning', and occasionally _finish_ carpentry -- as separate and distinct from "rough" carpentry?

Do _you_ know *anything* about woodworking? *CAN* you contribute anything constructive to any =woodworking= discussions _not_ involving explosives?

Now, for some 'really dirty' questions -- Do you "pay attention" to your prospective audience when you _buy_ advertising space? Or do you take out ads "just anywhere" that there is a remote possibility that someone who does carpentry might see it? Or did you just "not bother" with any attempt to 'qualify' the target audience, because _this_ ad was "free" ? ("free" meaning that _other_ _people_ are paying all the expenses for it -- the costs for the lines to move the articles from server to server, the costs of those servers, etc.) Did you bother to _ask_ the people who pay for the rest of the system if it was alright with *them* if you spent _their_ money advertising *your* business? Or did you feel it was O.K, because you were only taking 'a little bit' of their money and resources for your personal gain?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

"news.announce.newusers"?

'rec.woodworking'

possibility

Geezus - I've seen some lame justifications and contrivances before, but this takes the cake.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Apparently you have become confused by the name of the service I pay to filter my incoming email?

Actually, I acknowledged your apology. I may have questioned it's sincerity, but I did see and respond to it.

Calling something what it is, isn't "namecalling".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's my guess.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So... in what way is the OP any different from you, me and the rest of the users on the internet? How are we somehow different from Rob's claim up above, about using a service for free that other people are paying for? Rob's point is pure BS simply because he's trying to make an argument based on the very design nature of the internet.

Reply to
Mike Marlow