Powder Actuated Fastening

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Say what? You might try making sense here.

Actually, no, they don't. I've never used one in my own shop, which is a wood building with a wood floor.

Great way to burn a shop down, too.

As bullshit flows, yours just plops. Discussion makes sense to me. Advertising does not. You don't like my definition of spam? Tough shit, added to your bullshit.
What predatory marketing practices of woodworking magazines are you writing about? The dozens that have not cropped up here? Because that's what the original discussion was about, spam, and there have been NO spam from any magazine that I know of to date. OT is widely tolerated and should be. Your intransigence is a bit weird, particularly inasmuch as the OP has backed off, and is willing to go along with the overall group attitude.
Without trying to make any more trouble, it seems as there are more people who have replied in this group who weren't offended or weren't upset at my attempt of letting this group know about the services my website provides. What I'm failing to understand is if this newsgroup is public and non-moderated, shouldn't the option to open the thread or not depend on the reader's preference? For all of the talk about spamming and bandwidth, it seems that more bandwith was wasted on flaming me to bits repeatedly. I'm sorry, Mr. Hinz, if pinsandloads.com has somehow infringed on your duty to police this group. I find it ironic that the very people who claim to preserve the integrity of the group have attacked almost any comment in defense, or in acceptance of my apology. In actuality, aside from the namecalling, this thread has led to some meaningful discussion of powder tools, user certification, and applications.

Apparently you have become confused by the name of the service I pay to filter my incoming email?

Actually, I acknowledged your apology. I may have questioned it's sincerity, but I did see and respond to it.

Calling something what it is, isn't "namecalling".

I care.
Yes, he gets a lot of points for having the balls to make an apology. I have to give him credit for that. The big difference it that others participate and add to the value of the group. Rob Lee is a perfect example of giving his time to answer specific questions about his products as well as general questions. Same with Jim from McFeelys, Steve Knight and a few others. If Len is interested in woodworking and participates in discussions, he will soon be know for his generosity and I'm sure many of us would like to reciprocate by doing business with him.
Where do you draw the line? How about Ron Popiel posting weekly specials? If no one ever complains or comments, we will be over run with advertising. Yes, perhaps I'm a bit of a newsgroup cop, but it is to maintain a good group for all of us.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Apology accepted by this subscriber. If you're new to usenet, you might find the first three links at http://www.iedu.com/c/ of some help.
Actually, these products may eventually lead to a whole new definition of "big iron" ;-)
[ posted and e-mailed ]

Some serious questions:
Did you read the regular postings in the newsgroup "news.announce.newusers"?
Did you do _any_ of the things that are recommended in those advisories?
Were you aware that most newsgroups have a 'charter' -- a document that describes what is 'acceptable behavior' in that particular newsgroup?
Did you make any attempt to locate such a document covering 'rec.woodworking' before posting a commercial solicitation to that newsgroup?
Can you state what _possible_ relevance you thought your tools have to people engaged in "RECREATIONAL woodworking" -- cabinet-making, fine furniture, wood-carving, 'turning', and occasionally _finish_ carpentry -- as separate and distinct from "rough" carpentry?
Do _you_ know *anything* about woodworking? *CAN* you contribute anything constructive to any =woodworking= discussions _not_ involving explosives?
Now, for some 'really dirty' questions -- Do you "pay attention" to your prospective audience when you _buy_ advertising space? Or do you take out ads "just anywhere" that there is a remote possibility that someone who does carpentry might see it? Or did you just "not bother" with any attempt to 'qualify' the target audience, because _this_ ad was "free" ? ("free" meaning that _other_ _people_ are paying all the expenses for it -- the costs for the lines to move the articles from server to server, the costs of those servers, etc.) Did you bother to _ask_ the people who pay for the rest of the system if it was alright with *them* if you spent _their_ money advertising *your* business? Or did you feel it was O.K, because you were only taking 'a little bit' of their money and resources for your personal gain?

Geezus - I've seen some lame justifications and contrivances before, but this takes the cake.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That's my guess.

So... in what way is the OP any different from you, me and the rest of the users on the internet? How are we somehow different from Rob's claim up above, about using a service for free that other people are paying for? Rob's point is pure BS simply because he's trying to make an argument based on the very design nature of the internet.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

FWIW - I don't consider your post SPAM at all. I have zero need for one of your tools, but felt obliged to let *you* know I didn't object to your post.
I'll even consider your target newsgroup "topical". (I assume you posted in alt.home.repair.)
Thank you, sir, for not rushing to judgment.

Lenny Schlegel wrote:

Good info.

It's people like you, who patronize spammers, that are partly responsible for the festering pile of crap in everyone else's inboxes. Thanks alot.

http://www.techworld.com/applications/news/index.cfm?NewsID735
The FTC is trying to do something about spam. I wonder if it will work. It is part of "Operation Spam Zombies". Sounds like a plot for a bad movie.
On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:41:01 -0400, Lee Michaels

I have now, thanks for the link!

It's unfortunate that ISPs need government pressure to disconnect infected systems, but at least someone is doing it. Many ISPs are already doing that without being told to, but whatever it takes.
The orginal advertiser posted interesting information. If you think he is a spammer causing the festering trash in your mail box, then you are nuts. Leave your crap at home.

People who reward spammers by giving them money, cause spammers to spam more, and cause more people to spam.
If you refuse to see that, well, I guess I know where you buy your meds.
On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:33:08 GMT, "Lenny Schlegel"

For gawd's sake, don't let Nahm see this.