Powder Actuated Fastening

Page 1 of 2

For all of your powder actuated fastening needs, pay a visit to www.pinsandloads.com Pins and Loads.com specializes in tools, pins and loads from ITW Ramset. We also have a tool cleaning and repair service, as well as powder actuated tool user certification.

How many more groups have you spammed? New to e-commerce, I bet. I'll keep buying from Grainger, who doesn't spam.
Dave,
Grainger is a great company, who we regularly do business with. I'm sorry you feel that one post in topical newsgroups is spamming, and hope that if there's ever a problem with Grainger, you'd give us a try. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.
-Len Schlegel Pinsandloads.com

"Lenny Schlegel" spammed some more

You don't get it.
Your spamming was not appreciated.
Neither was your top posting.
And as your your moronic "one post in topical newsgroup" criteria, that is the very essense of spamming. Newsgroups are places where people go to talk and learn. Not to be hustled. If you had been coming here awhile and making an active contribution, we probably wouldn't mind a plug for your biz. Because we would know that you have contributed.
But when the only thing you provide is spam, it is just as unwelcome wherever else we encounter it. You want to know what would really satisfy us? If you didn't come around any more. See how simple that was?
Lenny Schlegel wrote:

Topical? I've used a lot of powder actuated loads in my life, but never one in my woodshop.
"Charlie Self" wrote

I think it is a self defense thing. Against those "wild" exotic hardwoods. Ya know, the ones with the grain patern that always looks like it is moving.
So if it starts to move on you, you pull out the powder actuated tool (otherwise known as a gun) and shoot it before it gets you.
Ideal for folks who are paranoid and use drugs.
See Lenny, I should write your ad copy!

What have you contributed to the group?
If I was to hang an advertisement on your car or truck, would it be OK since it was a one time thing? If WalMart posted a billboard on your front door would it be OK if it was a one time thing? As you can see, you've not made many friends today. If you were a regular contributor and had your web site in the sig line, we'd soon know what you sell and if you are worthy of our business. You used the wrong approach here.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

He hasn't, of course. Contrast this to some of our regular contributors who also happen to sell tools, and how their posts are welcomed.

Cue indignant response from spammer in 3...2...1...

I did apologize, as I was not aware of this group's "rules". Now that I know, I will respect those rules and not make a post like that again. I certainly do not want my company to be confused with those companys who unscrupulously spam and bombard people with ads, viruses, spyware, etc. Maybe I erred in judgment, but I didn't realize that by making a post in a newsgroup, I would be put in the same group as those that repeatedly abuse the system. -Len Schlegel www.pinsandloads.com

Something to be said about learning what you're doing before you do it wrong...
Dave Hinz wrote:

Ok come on. The guy isn't flooding the group and bailing. He even had the decency to reply.
A lot of you guys sure have a bunch of double standards. Nobody seems to mind when Robin Lee tell about the latest sale, or when someone is trying to sell hand planes, or Table Saw Aligner JR (all of which are great products).
Who cares?

Sure he did. First it was the standard "It's no big deal" response, then he actually seemed to get a clue. I acknowledged that just now, right there above.

And the critical difference is that all of those are cases of a person who actively participates and adds value to the group on a regular basis, and then mentions the products they sell. There's a huge difference between that, and someone coming here only to exploit the group for free advertising, while providing nothing of value.

Have you seen groups awash in spam, Larry? It's not pretty. They end up dead and abandoned to the spammers.
Dave Hinz wrote:

It also help when the product being discussed is relevant to the group. When is the last time you used a powder actuated fastener in a woodworking project?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Uh, I used mine just a few weeks ago (again). Of course my "woodworking project" is currently a house remodel, but I was nailing wood (albeit to concrete).
I'm a fairly regular poster here and now that the air seems clear about the sequence (substantive posts first, and then "oh, by the way" marketing posts after you've become a little more known--check with the cabal; if there is one...) and frequency (never very often), I for one hope he sticks around and adds something.
For example I'd like to know how seriously certification is taken, particularly since the big boxes sell their Remingtons (and Hilti's) to the general public without question. Robatoy can testify for us that certification is certainly a different story in solid surfacing. I wonder if there's any parallel.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod, I'd be glad to help answer any questions anyone may have on powder actuated fastening. I know I'm risking getting flamed here, but there's also a forum on our website with an "Ask Dr. P.A.T" category, where our resident powder actuated tool expert will answer any questions on fastening, applications, repair, cleaning, etc. I won't post a link, because once again, I'm not trying to offend. To answer your question on certification, LRod, from what I understand if the tool is to be used for personal use, no certification is required. Of course, we'd encourage ANYONE using a powder tool to take the brief training course. It never hurts to learn the safety precautions for using a new tool. For contractors or professional use, OSHA requires each user to have certification. Any tool operator not certified is subject to OSHA fines. -Len Schlegel www.pinsandloads.com

Today.
Only I didn't use a Hilti, but I did use a hammer drill with some Tapcons. (Tapcons are pricey, but so are concrete nails) I had to fasten some furring strips to a concrete Granted, that hammer drill isn't as fast as a Hilti (powder actuated hammer tool, or whatever they're called these days), but it's not annoyingly slow either, especially considering the time it takes to load a new nail, and set the cartridge in a powder driven nailer.
Side note: Powder actuators are made for concrete. It would shatter brick, likely as not.
Just thinking about it, and completely unscientifically, I'd guess that in the trades, it's the framing crews that carry use the most powder driven hammers. They're usually nailing to a flat concrete floor. The rest of the trades, especially plumbers and electricians tend to use hammer drills; better control on vertical concrete walls. Besides, they usually have a couple of hammer drills for drill through concrete.
I don't have a powder actuator, but I've used them and my BIL has a Remington. (I think he like the noise.)
Can you say "deaf" for several hours?? Those suckers are loud.
Just chatting...not preaching
James...

And steel...

And the smell. Ah, I love the smell of cordite in the morning. Smells like...victory! (paraphrased)

Suffering with tinnitus and constant ringing these last 45 years from youthful indiscretion (i.e. no hearing protection while shooting), I'm VERY aggressive these days with the application of my David Clarks. Including (especially) when using my Remington.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

ramset studs can be used for a lot of things, but attaching wood to concrete is one of the more common ones.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

And this has to do with woodshops how? I don't attach projects to concrete walls or floors.
I know what powder actuated tools are used for; I've used them; I've even rearranged some woodworkinga areas with them; they're about as commonly useful in a woodworking shop as is a MIG welder, maybe a little less.

what woodshops have to do with powder actuated tools is irrelevant to this conversation.

your choice of attachment surfaces is irrelevant to this conversation.

do you or don't you?

so they do have relevance in even your woodshop.

welding is a great process to have in a wood shop. I use it to make and repair tools, sometimes make hardware, that kind of thing.
so basically I know what you're getting at; that discussion of ramset stuff is off topic for the wreck. That's bullshit, though. if this was rec.cabinetmaking or rec.furniturebuilding I could see it, but this is rec.woodworking. topics vary all over the place here and OT stuff is tolerated widely. the discussion of tools used to attach wood to concrete is just as on topis as a discussion of predatory billing practices on the part of woodworking magazines, but I haven't seen you complaining about that.