Pour spout for gal cans

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in

A piece of pond liner would probably work just fine, if you know anyone who's just put in a pond or installs them. For the size you'd need, it'd probably be considered trash anyway.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 5/11/2012 8:47 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Besides the gasket (which should be pretty simple to make), seems like it would be much easier to pour accurately with if the spout had a angle--like either bend it or stick a 45 on there...
But, a nice idea; hadn't thought of modifying one so...
I still have a bunch of old metal 5-gal oil cans (in which used to get hydraulic oil primarily) w/ the formed in pouring spout and the double lid on the spout w/ a 1/2" and a 1-1/2" opening depending on which is removed. They've become priceless w/ the demise of a working gas can w/o all the foolishness of the new spouts.
But the old small transfer plastic containers that have used for the small engines where the 5-gal is bulky to get to has split the plastic spout and gotten brittle. Just might have to follow your lead and make myself one of these to replace it. The only real disadvantage I see is the taller profile makes them a little more tip-easy and the other cans have larger opening for filling them--not sure my regular funnel that I've used will fit that opening but those are pretty minor problems to deal with.
Good idea... +1
I can't do the angle, since each can registers in a different position.
I already tested that when I built it by marking the top that I used and testing it.
So it is very generic. BTW each can of Alky can be different too.
On 5/12/2012 8:58 AM, dpb wrote:

On 5/12/2012 10:08 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Make it w/ a slip ring mount instead of fixed by adding a washer around the base...
On 5/11/2012 6:47 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

http://www.agrisupply.com/Replacement-Spout-For-Plastic-Gas-Containers/p/74442/&sid=&eid =/
Why would I want a gas can spout?
The mouth is small on the cans.
BTW I just picked up a couple of new cans, and they went from soldered mouth to a plastic mouth which is even smaller.
So now I either need a new solution or I will have to transfer the can to an older can using a funnel. (SUCKS)
I'm not sure what type of plastic the cap is, and if I can mend anything to it. It might be plastic, nylon, acetal... or anything else.