Pour spout for gal cans

Page 1 of 2
I made a pour spout years ago. It's worked great , but it has a few issues. The seal to the cap can leak. and the cardboard/foil gasket kept falling out.
When it fell out last time I lost it.. I tried to replace it with an o ring but none fit. So I went through my plumbing stuff and again nothing fit. So I made a gasket from a seal that was too large. I cut it in half to thin it, and also slit it to fit in. Sometimes it works and sometimes not...
I am no good at making a gasket with permatex, only gaskets that you compress in a bolt down...
Do any of you know of a solution short of going back to a cardboard/foil gasket?
Image here:
http://i.imgur.com/snX1Y.jpg
It allows me to pour alky and spirits without a funnel.
"tiredofspam" wrote:

--------------------------------- Buy a gallon can with a flex spout.
Designed for the job.
Will be less costly than a custom gasket from a die house.
Lew
RE: Subject
Pick one.
http://tinyurl.com/7lyavhf
Lew
BTW Lew, you have a fixation with GAS don't you. 8>)
On 5/11/2012 10:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

cut one from cork sheet?
I didn't think of that. Good one.
On 5/11/2012 10:13 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Chairman, thanks. 2-3 minutes of work and it was gold... No leaks.. and stays put.
Thanks.
On 5/11/2012 10:13 PM, ChairMan wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

hey, I do what i can<g> glad it worked for ya
Mike Marlow wrote:

a hole punch works well
On 5/11/2012 7:47 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Damn! You just solved a problem that has been bugging me for many years.
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

It really isn't too difficult to pour from a can such as in the picture without spilling. The trick is to keep the opening at the highest point of the can. Of course with delirium tremens all bets are off ...
--
Best regards
Han

Indubitably, my dear Han.
I found a gallon gas can with a flexible rubberesque spout decades ago. I just lost the can it went on, so I wonder if it would work on my solvent cans... It has about a 5/8" ID and is 8 inches long, so it fills everything without spilling a drop.
-- In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create. -- Raoul Vaneigem
On 5/12/2012 6:09 AM, Han wrote: ...

Indeed, if it's absolutely the highest point, very little will spill, indeed... <gd&r>
But, I grok what you mean... :)

Yea but when the can is new it is full immediately and makes a mess even with a funnel. This solves that.
On 5/12/2012 7:09 AM, Han wrote:

216.151.153.165:

For small amounts, I use a little pipette to suck the material out of the cans. I wonder if a turkey baster would work just as well for larger amounts?
It seems like those cans are designed to spill.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the cited author.]
says...

First thing is to note that the gasket does not need to be a narrow perimeter strip. Instead it would probably work just fine with a half inch hole in the middle.
For more durable thin materials to make a new gasket you should look inside the lids of other empty containers and find one that has a large enough diameter to work with. Some lids have a disk of a plastic foam type material that should work OK.
--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

On 5/12/2012 7:38 AM, Larry W wrote:

Indeed, and I routinely stop by the local Bandaq dealer and pick up a used truck tube or two to always have one on hand. Here, and at least up until last visit, they would give them away gratis in small numbers, anyway. The bike tube is much thinner material, of course, but that's ok for many things, too.
And, as another said, it's good to always have at least a small sheet of various gasket materials/thicknesses in the drawer as well...
I have a tube, but it curls, and I don't want to fuss with it dropping in and out. I want something that will stay where I put it.
I move this spout from Alcohol to Mineral spirits.. I don't keep it on, I remove it to seal the can back up.
Good Idea though.I guess if I were to glue it down somehow.