Posting photos

Page 1 of 2
What's the best way to post photos of projects for comments?
--
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Top Spin wrote:

There are two ways.
1. Put the photos on a web site and put the link here.
2. Post them in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Note that some people's newsservers don't get all the pictures.
-- Mark
yea, i get the text but no pictures, anything i can do.......

George Berlinger wrote:

http://www.usenet-replayer.com/groups/alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.en.html.gz
-- Mark
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:31:48 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

I don't have a web site. Are there "public" web sites that will let me post photos or rent space?

That would work, but my server (CIS-DFN) doesn't support binaries. Anyway, I'd rather post it here.
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Top Spin wrote:

<g> http://www.google.com/search?q=free+web+hosting -- Mark
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:40:44 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

I do know about both free and paid web hosting. I was trying to avoid the hassle of setting up a web site just for one or two photos.
Thanks
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Your preference is irrelevant: this isn't a binaries group. Most servers quietly drop binary attachments in non-binaries groups. Alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking is the established place for posting pictures relevant to this group.
In any event, if your server doesn't support binaries, you can't post it here either.
Your comment to the second point struck me as odd. "Anyway, I'd rather post it here." This is a text group and ABPW is the group you should post the pictures to rather than here. I understand your ISP won't allow you to post binaries anywhere, but I just wanted to clarify that ABPW would be the proper place and not here.
Since you don't have a web site and your ISP won't allow you access to binary groups then it sounds like the best way for you to post photos is to change one of the above.
-- Larry C in Auburn WA

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:37:56 GMT, "Larry C"

Yes, I understand that. I meant that I would rather post the message here with a link to the photo than post the binary to ABPW.

I thought I had seen some posts here with links to photos that looked like they were using some other mechanism. Maybe I was mistaken as I can't find any examples.
PS: Not that it matters, but it's it's the news server, not the ISP, that won't accept binaries.
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Cool. You could send the photos to someone that can post on ABPW. You wouldn't be able to see them yourself, but the rest of us could and with the text posted here you'll see the replies.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Top Spin" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:16:03 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

I'm puzzled. Are you:
a. Trying to pull my chain?
b. Just having a bad day and a little cranky?
c. A jerk or a troll?
d. Pretending to be stupid and/or illiterate?
e. Genuinely stupid and/or illiterate?
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Top Spin wrote:

How about
f. None of the above.
You have things you would like to post. You can't do it, but you could email the photos to one of us who can. With a primary thread on this newsgroup, you would be able to get the feedback.
Sounds like a reasonable offer to me. ;-) Email them to me and I'll post them. I have access to two newsservers that accept binaries.
-- Mark
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:39:36 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Yes, you are right. I was out of line.

I could find a newsserver that supports binaries, but, as I tried to explain, I thought I had seen people posting links here and I was just asking if there was some way to do that without setting up my own website. I'll sign up with a newsserver that permits binaries and psot to ABPW.

Thanks.
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Top Spin wrote:

rec.crafts.metalworking has a "drop box" where people can post pictures. http://metalworking.com/DropBox /
I would like to do the same with my site but I don't know enough to set it up. www.markjerde.com (Don't bother going there, there's no "There" there yet.)
-- Mark
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:16:03 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

Larry,
Sorry for my previous post. That was uncalled for. I misread your post. I should have "thought twice, posted once". You were only trying to help. Sorry.
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

No problem; done it once or twice myself. I was thinking of sending you a copy of my Mensa id card though just to eliminate a couple of the choices... <g>
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Top Spin" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:43:56 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

OK, thanks
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Either on the binaries woodworking group, or a link to a web page that you set up. I do mine with the latter, as the photos will eventually roll off the binaries group.

Is that your own website?
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com