Posted my finished bed at ABPW.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Reply to
stoutman

Nice work Stoutman. That bed should serve well until your son grows up and leaves "the nest" which will happen all too quickly. However, if you are lucky some day after he is grown and married he will announce that he and wife need new bedroom furniture. (and will you build it for us?) At which point you should say sure but you must show up and help build it. Believe me, quality time with your grown children is rare and precious. Anyway that is what happened to me last year. I will post pictures of the red oak mission style bed and storage unit we built on a.b.p.w.

The bed is a king sized monster and produced design challenges because it had to be moved, using his vehicle, from my basement shop here in Kansas to his home in Albuquerque N.M. Though not apparent in the pictures the bed is tall. The top of the mattress is 36" above the floor. The storage units are

22" tall and the Select Comfort mattress is 14" thick. The headboard is about 6' tall. The 12 drawers are all the same size, roughly 24" wide x 7" deep x 30" long. The pine drawer boxes are dovetailed on all four corners and have 3/8" baltic birch bottoms. We used Blum Tandem full extension undermount drawer slides.

The overall look of headboard and footboard were taken from a Wood Magazine article. However, we made most of the parts beefier to keep everything in proportion to the large size. For example, the magazine plans called for 2" square posts, we made them 3 ¾". The plans called for 5/4 thick rails, we made them 7/4 by gluing 15/16" stock together and then sanding them down a bit. The posts were made from 15/16" stock using a 45 degree lock miter joint. The lock miter router bit is hard to set up but makes an excellent joint. Very close inspection is needed to find the corner seams in the posts. It should be noted that the headboard and footboard are only decoration. The mattress is supported by the storage units. Also worth noting is that there is about a foot of space between the storage units. It forms a long tunnel the length of the bed and can be used to store long items. The kids also use this space for the compressor that inflates the mattress.

A fun project for father and son.

Earl Creel

Reply to
Earl Creel

I'm not seeing a link to the pics of your bed, and I'd like to check it out. Dave Eames

Reply to
Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA

Reply to
stoutman

Pretty nice, is that mission style? I was thinking about buying a book on building mission style furniture. Dave

Reply to
Dave Eames , Oakhurst CA

Thanks.

Yep, I think it would be considered mission/arts and crafts.

Reply to
stoutman