Post Office mailbox door banks.

Anyone making any of these out there in woodworking land?? I bought a milk crate full of the doors at an estate sale and would love to turn them into something cool. They aren't real old. I think they're marked "1971" or around there. I've seen coin banks made from them, but can't find a good pattern. The best one I've seen was made like a safe; sorta' up on small feet like an older style western bank safe. It was even painted like a safe.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id 406&sidAF078
--
http://sawdustmaking.com

<< I've seen coin banks made from them, but can't find a good pattern. >>
See if you can find a copy of the first issue of Woodcraft Magazine. That was their very first project, the one featured on the cover.
Lee

Scott Jackson wrote:

Hi Scott...
It's your lucky day. As Lee pointed out, making these banks was the cover story of our first issue. The entire article is posted here:
http://woodcraftmagazine.com/articles /
Once on the above page, scroll down. The P.O. Box Bank project is the 4th article from the bottom of the list.
If you do make one, send me a hi-res photo, and if the photo's good enough for print, I'll put it in the "Show Off" gallery section of the magazine.
A.J.