(Possibly OT) Help in Dallas area

At last summer's wood show in Las Vegas, SWMBO had occasion to visit the complementary Design Showcase, where she ordered a table and 4 chairs from a South American manufacturer. The furniture has arrived in Dallas where the receiver is awaiting our instructions to reship to us in northern California. The shipment weighs under 200 lbs, but the transporters the receiver uses charges for 1,000 lb minimum loads with prices approximating $1.00/lb. We have contacted some pack and ship people in the Dallas area, but their prices are only slightly better.
We are open to suggestions regarding choosing a company or method to ship our furniture. Hopefully we won't have to pay the amounts we have already encountered which are more than we paid for the furniture.
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
TW
http://freightquote.com

Generally speaking, you can arrange to have your stuff shipped to a local freight terminal as part of a "full load". Costs are SUBSTANTIALLY less this way. You can go to the terminal & pick the stuff up yourself.
BruceT

How does one go about requesting this? That sounds like a winner and something to file away for future reference.

Try abfs.com

You need to know the weight, the dimensions of the shipping containers, how it is packed.
Then you can call a couple of carriers or try www.freightquotes.com Weight is only one factor. Shipments are put into classifications that take volume, or the space taken up on the truck, into consideration. 200 pounds of furniture will cost more to ship than 200 pounds of steel coils, copper wire, or aluminum tooling.
If the chairs are individually packed in cartons, it may be able to go UPS or FedEx ground. Weight will not be a problem, but size can be for these guys.
If it goes by truck, a WAG will be well over $500 for that distance.