Possible to make dovetails without a jig?

Page 2 of 2

There is more than one type/design for drawers, you know. Relatively few (I would guess) have sides chock-a-block to the fronts. Certainly not if metal slides are used on the sides.
Even with chock-a-block sides and fronts one could use a sliding dovetail if you...
1. use fat sides and/or narrow pins;
2. are careful & precise.
dadiOH _____________
stryped wrote:

On 2/22/2006 5:19 PM dadiOH mumbled something about the following:

Sheesh, both of you top posting make it difficult to read Just read the quoted above, and it is all friggin backwards.
--
Odinn

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of a discussion

Not totally unrelated: without a router dovetail jig, it's also possible to cut them on a tablesaw and bandsaw, or omitting the bandsaw, a tablesaw and chisel. I think I saw the technique in a book by Yeung Chan. Briefly, you cut the pins first on a tablesaw with the work placed against a miter gauge and backer board/jig turned to the angle you want the dovetails. Make small cuts on one side of the pin then reverse the jig to repeat the cut on the other side of the pin. After the pins are cut, trace them onto the tail piece and cut the tails either on bandsaw or handsaw and chisel. You must be able to cut the tails accurately to a scribed line for this method to work.
Woodcraft has an article FWW published years ago that shows how Mark Duginske did it: http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid50
Cheers! Dukester
For through dovetails (which I prefer), I usually do them on my tablesaw with a little cleanup with a chisel, similarly to what Duke described. I actually lay them out on a CAD program (I use CorelDraw; it's cheap, easy, and powerful enough for most of the stuff I need it to do). I print out and attach the pattern to the board with doublestick tape.
I'm happy to provide more details on what to do after that if you're interested.
btw, thankyou for allowing this thread to be archived!
Josh
stryped wrote:

I'm sure this scan be done on a router table, but not without some kind of setup. Keep in mind there are various sizes of dovetail bits, some for hardwoods others for softwoods. A box joint is stronger than a rabbet joint and can be made with a router.
You CAN make sliding dovetails with just the bit and a router table. Maybe not the conventional ones your thinking of, but hold well just the ame. --dave

try this online dovetail template generator http://www.blocklayer.com/Woodjoints/DovetailEng.aspx
Use your router to cut either blind or thru cuts in the drawer face. Use the face cuts as a template to mark the side peices and cut them by hand.
Mike