Possible to make dovetails without a jig?

Page 1 of 2

Is it possible to make dovetails with only a dovetail bit and a router table without a dovetail jig? (Mainly for small drawers.) Or would rabitting be easiest way to go and still be strong?
With some careful measuring, a fence and a verticle push jig, half-blind, yes. Tom

I agree, but I would call that a "no". You need jig, either buy it or make it, but you need a jig to *route* dovetails.
stryped wrote:

Try making them freehand, with an Exacto knife, first.

No, No, No!
You must use a butter knife!
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
stoutman wrote:

Would a sand blaster work as well?
er
--
email not valid

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:08:52 -0800, Enoch Root opined:

Only on hardwoods.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net
stoutman wrote:

Rumor is that Lee Valley has theirs in the prototype phase. I'd wait a little before getting one.
stryped wrote:

Without a jig, rabbets are the way to go if you want to use a router w/out a DT jig. When I'm making drawers in a hurry, I rabbet them.
I would, however, suggest you at least try doing them by hand once. My first hand-dovetailed drawer took me about an hour (drawer was 5 inches tall). I only did one practice joint prior to the drawer, and I started at the back ;)
They weren't the prettiest dovetails, but they weren't bad. I got some nice angles and irregularly patterned spacing on them so they look a lot cooler than a regular jigged dovetail.
Anyway, rabbets will hold up fine for decades.
As a matter of fact, I built a rolling file cabinet when I was just getting started, and I just butt-glued 1/4" ply to the pine fronts, and let gravity hold them in place to dry. They're working like new, 15 years later...
Those were the days. I'd never try that now, but I still shake my head that it held up.
-Mike
Is your bed going to be constructed with dovetails?? Interesting.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
x-no-archive:yes
No, it is not. I was reading last night about dovetails in my book and realized my router bit set I received for Christmas has a dovetail bit in it. I have seen mention of dovetail jigs mentioned on here and wondered if it was common practive to do without a jig.
Stephen M wrote: I agree, but I would call that a "no". You need jig, either buy it or make it, but you need a jig to *route* dovetails.
(Note to self: It's spelled "vertical".) Well, the vertical push jig is not a single-purpose tool like the other, I'm pretty sure. The OP was asking about a "dovetail jig", a single-purpose tool (If I'm wrong, I hope others will enlighten me. I don't own one.) which can make through dovetails, but you'll also need a straight bit and collars. Half-blinds can be made with just the one dovetail bit, a fence and an easily made jig, of course. And how's about this for picayune; I know Norm (genuflecting) calls it a dovetail jig, but is it really a fixture or pattern? Tom
Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 1, 7:33 am). (Not now, it won't)
stryped wrote:
No, it is not. I was reading last night about dovetails in my book and realized my router bit set I received for Christmas has a dovetail bit in it. I have seen mention of dovetail jigs mentioned on here and wondered if it was common practive to do without a jig.
On 2/22/2006 10:33 AM stryped mumbled something about the following:

Why do you keep doing th x-no-archive:yes crap? Why do you not want it archived? Are you afraid of your questions coming back to haunt you? Too late, enough of us quoted it, and everyone can see that you keep asking all these questions and not wanting them archived.
--
Odinn - I'm with Tom, I bet I don't get an answer either.

In a manner, see the
http://www.patwarner.com/images/t_square5.jpg pix link for example.
stryped wrote:

No. Dovetails did not exist before there were jigs. <sarcasm alert (for the literal minds). _______________

Hey, stryped...ever hear of sliding dovetails?
You can make perfectly good dovetails using home made spacer blocks on the router table. The width of the blocks is critical, but once made they are good for as long as you want and more compact than a dovetail jig. Most router books will show the technique. Bugs
x-no-archive:yes
I have heard about thembut not tottaly sure what they are, why? dadiOH wrote:

Because...
1. they make first rate joints
2. they are easy to make
3. no jig required