(Possible repost) Making a kitchen island countertop

I posted this yesterday, but somehow it does not show in Google groups, so I'm reposting it. Sorry if it's a dupe. I am including some correspondence I've had off-line (which proves that someone did see my post!) iouri ----------------
Hi Mike, thank you very much for your reply!
By solid cherry panel I mean "glued up boards cherry panel". I do not have a biscuit joiner, but I guess I could rent one at HomeDepot... although it seems simpler to just rout a groove in both the panel and the border and glue a spline around the perimiter and in the miter. Something I am worried about is that if I rout a groove at the mid-depth of the board, it would be half in the wood, half in MDF. It that a problem? BTW, should I use MDF or plywood?
Thanks, iouri
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike G" <> To: "Pefferie" <> Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 1:57 PM Subject: Re: Making a kitchen island countertop