Possible interest in short, free NL

I agree wholeheartedly. Too many variables in email rendering of HTML; it never looks good, it often gets (rightly) filtered out by spam-bots, and it's really trying to force something to be what it's not.

Agreed. Also, with any web statistics program, it will let you know just how many people are reading how much of what parts of your newsletter, how they got there, where they went, how long they stayed, and so on. No way to measure that client-side.

I'd tend to agree.

On that, I definately agree. Although, Dave, the images would probably be tags to a webserver anyway, so the mail itself should be small.
Dave Hinz

Yes, you're right. In fact, if there's advertising involved, they'd pretty much have to be in order to provide some measurement to the advertiser.
Your point about about web stats is also well taken.

But _that_ is the 'reference implementation' of virus-spreading e-mails.
Many modern browsers will -not-, when processing HTML mail, open links to an 'external to the message' reference.
Charlie, at a minimum, you need to give people an *option* for HTML mail vs 'plain ASCII'.
And, truthfully, if you want _real _control over the layout, you'd be best off creating a .pdf and sending _that_.

I didn't know they had managed to build viruses into images yet.

Well, it's not a link, it's a tagged object, but either way, email is the way not to do it for a host of reasons.

Absolutely.
Dave Hinz said:

Actually, I believe Microsoft managed to come up with a JPG algorithm that was susceptible to viri. Leave it to Bill...
Greg G.

That started happening about 4 years ago. IIRC one of the news shows like 60 minutes did a piece on it.

Call it an 'image', even name it with the extension for a recognized image format. make the _acutal_ content of the file a MS-executable.
Windows is _so_dumb_, that it looks at the file 'type' (based on extension) to figure out whether or not to automatically 'execute' the file, and then *ignores* the extension, and looks at the actual content to determine *how* to execute it.
Furthermore, there *are* exploits of defective code in the MS 'jpeg' decoder. which allow you to embed malicious *code* into the 'data' of a properly- constructed .JPG file, and it _will_ be executed.

I won't debate terminology. "<a href=>text description</a>"

Ah yes, that little joyful thing.

Yes it does. That can get really frustrating if you have two .'s in the filename.

I thought they fixed that? But yeah, I remember that now.

I wasn't trying to play word games, I assure you. so yeah, that's a tag, not a link as in "click here". They're handled differently, otherwise I wouldn't have made the distinction.

Nonsense; Windows parses the filename from the end backwards to determine the extension. I can easily have a file called this.is.a.picture.of.my.nephew.jpg and Windows knows how to launch the file viewer.
If you're gonna bash Windows for some file system issue, at least double check your facts.
Matt
Dave Balderstone said:

Or at worst, a PDF - preferably downloadable by a link in the email.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

OK. That is even easier, I think. I can upload the PDF to my web site, maybe, and then link to a para in the email NL, which could then remain about a long paragraph. The fact is, I don't intend any one NL to be large, something on the order of maybe two to three 8-1/2 x 11 pages, including no more than six photos, depending on the complexity of the tip. The tool review should be fairly fast and simple as long as I can hold to doing an individual tool per review.

I hate PDF as a delivery vehicle. I'd rather pay to get a printed copy, 'cause I end up printing the frigging thing anyway.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Dave Balderstone wrote:

How about: www.charlieselfonline.com?

I've got a webhosting reseller account if you want a domain hosted. It's a coop deal, I make no money on it (to say the least).
Dave
Dave Hinz said:

Dave... I believe he already HAS a domain... ;-)
Greg G.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly. Put HTML version on your website and text version in email. Even text mail can support some level of ad sponsorship.
You've probably already thought of this as well, but use some robust mailing list software (MailMan, MajorDomo, with instruction added at the bottom of each NL) so subscribers can self-manage their subscription. It won't get you completely away from "Please unsubscribe me" messages, but it will help. BTW, sign me up.
~Mark.
Charles Self wrote:

Sounds good. I'll even contribute to the Handyman's Club section.     spaz,     jo4hn

Latest in hammers, claw type, one each?

Sign me up.
I'd like to try that, if you will. Tom Cavanagh