Possible interest in short, free NL

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.

A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.

The NL will go only to subscribers who provide an email address. I might later ask for a zip code in order to class markets for advertisers, but probably not.

No spam.

No flash.

Tips may be long or short, depending on available time, my mood and, after a bit, requests. I may eventually also include responses from readers.

If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which is fine, as it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a simple HTML document with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page or so of test, aimed at quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy, but, I hope, useful.

If it interests you and you don't want to respond online, try me at charlieself at charlieselfonline.com.

Reply to
Charles Self

That sounds good to me Charlie. Ads would not bother me since you are providing a service.

Reply to
Leon

What's not to like?

I think you need a stated privacy policy, promising not to sell the emails or use them for purposes other than the newsletter.

Sounds good to me!

Reply to
alexy

Yes, well I've listened to the complaints--read, actually--about too many ads in the magazines, but that's usually on top of a now hefty subscription cost. Since the NL will be free, the ads should be less bothersome. I've got to work out a way to make them visible and useful to the advertisers without them being overly intrusive to the readers.

I figure it will take me about three to four months to put this together, along with getting enough material stashed to make it workable and worthwhile for six months beyond its start.

There's no problem with getting fresh tool tests, but I want the tips to be up-to-date and not something seen in sixteen books or magazines in the last six months, too.

The NL is going to require more organization than I've ever had to use before. But it should be useful.

Reply to
Charles Self

Sounds like an interesting idea. Ads shouldn't be an issue, most people recognize that it costs money to produce something -- if you can get ad revenue to pay for it rather than making it subscriber supported,that's a good thing.

Mark & Juanita

Having worked on an NL in the field, I know what even the suspicion of messing with privacy can do. Thus, my privacy policy will be simple: email addresses of those who joint are for newsletter use only, never sold, given, traded or otherwise compromised.

I can probably do enough to irritate half my readers within the first year that I won't need to mess with other things to lose subscribers.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Having worked on an NL in the field, I know what even the suspicion of messing with privacy can do. Thus, my privacy policy will be simple: email addresses of those who joint are for newsletter use only, never sold, given, traded or otherwise compromised.

I can probably do enough to irritate half my readers within the first year that I won't need to mess with other things to lose subscribers.

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Charles Self" wrote

I'm all for that Charlie. I'll send a private message with my e-mail address ... but wanted to publicly support your efforts.

I appreciate you sharing your years of experience as a woodworker, photographer and writer. While I don't always see things the way you do ... I look forward to seeing what's on your mind.

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

OK Charlie, the Woodworking Gods voted on it. Sign us up.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Charlie, What do I have to lose? Sign me up!

And Thanks, not only for this idea, but for all the time you spend sharing your knowledge and experience here.

DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I'm a (relative) newbie...I'll take all the advice I can get! Send it out!

Reply to
wood_newbie

"Charles Self" wrote in news:0Tdqf.326118$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Charlie,

I'd be interested in this.

Reply to
John Thomas

I wish you well, but HTML email here is filtered directly to /dev/null/ so unless you're envisioning it as a web page with an emailed URL, I'll pass.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Sounds good. I'll even contribute to the Handyman's Club section. spaz, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I appreciate it. While those who are emailing privately are about it, please lose the yahoo.com email address. It doesn't seem to like me, lots of run time errors, and it won't let me forward emails to a more sensible spot. Try crself at aoldotcom or russtreflex at aoldotcom

My spam filters will probably catch you, but then I'll catch the spam filters.

Thanks again, JOAT and all of ya.

Reply to
Charles Self

I'd be upset if there was only MY way of looking at things. I've been wrong too often...

Reply to
Charles Self

Sign me up.

Ken Muldrew

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

Reply to
Charles Self

Latest in hammers, claw type, one each?

Reply to