Possible interest in short, free NL

Page 1 of 3

I'm kind of trolling--in the sense of asking for bites--on an idea I've been mulling since I was able to get a web site up and mostly operative.
A weekly newsletter, free to readers (will eventually have some ads from interested companies, as the online things are not free to me), with a tip or two each week, along with one tool review--individual tool, not groups.
The NL will go only to subscribers who provide an email address. I might later ask for a zip code in order to class markets for advertisers, but probably not.
No spam.
No flash.
Tips may be long or short, depending on available time, my mood and, after a bit, requests. I may eventually also include responses from readers.
If there's enough interest, both from readers and various companies, I'll start setting up. If not, not. I anticipate a lot of work, which is fine, as it's work I enjoy, but you'd basically be looking at a simple HTML document with no more than half a dozen photos, and a page or so of test, aimed at quick, informative readability. Nothing fancy, but, I hope, useful.
If it interests you and you don't want to respond online, try me at charlieself at charlieselfonline.com.
--
Charlie Self
Writer/Photographer

Yes, well I've listened to the complaints--read, actually--about too many ads in the magazines, but that's usually on top of a now hefty subscription cost. Since the NL will be free, the ads should be less bothersome. I've got to work out a way to make them visible and useful to the advertisers without them being overly intrusive to the readers.
I figure it will take me about three to four months to put this together, along with getting enough material stashed to make it workable and worthwhile for six months beyond its start.
There's no problem with getting fresh tool tests, but I want the tips to be up-to-date and not something seen in sixteen books or magazines in the last six months, too.
The NL is going to require more organization than I've ever had to use before. But it should be useful.
OK Charlie, the Woodworking Gods voted on it. Sign us up.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax

I appreciate it. While those who are emailing privately are about it, please lose the yahoo.com email address. It doesn't seem to like me, lots of run time errors, and it won't let me forward emails to a more sensible spot. Try crself at aoldotcom or russtreflex at aoldotcom
My spam filters will probably catch you, but then I'll catch the spam filters.
Thanks again, JOAT and all of ya.
Wed, Dec 21, 2005, 6:38pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (CharlesSelf) doth say: I appreciate it. <snip>
No prob. The Woodworking Gods say you can even deter your sactifice for a year.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:03:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Would think that the fact it was going to become a sacrificw would be plenty deterrent. ;-)

What's not to like?
I think you need a stated privacy policy, promising not to sell the emails or use them for purposes other than the newsletter.
Sounds good to me!

alexy wrote:

Having worked on an NL in the field, I know what even the suspicion of messing with privacy can do. Thus, my privacy policy will be simple: email addresses of those who joint are for newsletter use only, never sold, given, traded or otherwise compromised.
I can probably do enough to irritate half my readers within the first year that I won't need to mess with other things to lose subscribers.
alexy wrote:

Having worked on an NL in the field, I know what even the suspicion of messing with privacy can do. Thus, my privacy policy will be simple: email addresses of those who joint are for newsletter use only, never sold, given, traded or otherwise compromised.
I can probably do enough to irritate half my readers within the first year that I won't need to mess with other things to lose subscribers.
alexy wrote:

Ditto.
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:44:12 GMT, "Charles Self"

Sounds like an interesting idea. Ads shouldn't be an issue, most people recognize that it costs money to produce something -- if you can get ad revenue to pay for it rather than making it subscriber supported,that's a good thing.
"Charles Self" wrote

[snip]
I'm all for that Charlie. I'll send a private message with my e-mail address ... but wanted to publicly support your efforts.
I appreciate you sharing your years of experience as a woodworker, photographer and writer. While I don't always see things the way you do ... I look forward to seeing what's on your mind.
Regards,
Rick

I'd be upset if there was only MY way of looking at things. I've been wrong too often...
Charlie, What do I have to lose? Sign me up!
And Thanks, not only for this idea, but for all the time you spend sharing your knowledge and experience here.
DonkeyHody
I'm a (relative) newbie...I'll take all the advice I can get! Send it out!

Charlie,
I'd be interested in this.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

I wish you well, but HTML email here is filtered directly to /dev/null/ so unless you're envisioning it as a web page with an emailed URL, I'll pass.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

The one email handler I'm looking at most seriously claims the HTML automatically switches over to plain text. Dunno if that's true, and probably won't know for a minimum of six or seven weeks.

If you're going to use HTML as the delivery vehicle I seriously recommend posting a web page and then emailing a link, like augusthome.com does.
You'll cut your bandwidth requirement way down, and be able to attract a larger audience, which means an improved ability to attract advertisers.
I think your concept is great, but that you're considering the wrong delivery vehicle.
HTML is for web browsers, not email proggies. Email me a link to a web page, not 500k of HTML and images!
djb
--
"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is