Possible Gloat (?) : Jet Supersaw

I just picked up a one year old Jet Supersaw with the 30' fence for $500. Even with the problem of the height adjustment breaking the belt and the so-so indicator on the fence (a problem that can be worked around I think) I'm hoping it's an upgrade over my Delta Contractors saw. One thing I like so far is the heft of it (need to find someone to help me get it out of my truck) and the left tilt blade. Still want a true cabinet saw eventually (I use a Powermatic 66 all week at work) but till then ..... Did I do ok ?
Lenny
This certaily qualifies as a gloat......In return, I offer the ceremonial "YOU SUCK" --dave

Thank You ..... I think =0 ) Lenny

I can understand how it would be a real pain to get it out of the truck. 30' fence? Whew! I'd like to see the rest of your shop!
Clint

Clint wrote:

How else you gonna crosscut telephone poles?
The OP suckethests.

Rookie, You would RIP telephone poles with a 30' fence, not cross cut them, unless it also has a 30' miter gauge. ;~)
Leon wrote:

No, I just figure with a 30' pole you'll want to use the fence too. Probably run the fence and the miter gauge on the same side of the table, and use it to help keep the piece straight on the little 4" wide miter gauge fence.
A thirty foot fence? Might be kind of hard to get in the shop. :)

It was even though it isn't .... =0) Lenny who still can't type

FYI,
Jet fixed the problem with the belt breaking - changed to a new material for the belt. In most cases they are replacing the belt at no charge with the new material. Its worth a call to customer support. I've never had a problem with the indicator on the fence. Many people hate the magnifier. I like it. I finally figure out that you can set the fence very accurately if you close one eye and then sight to line up the two hairs in the indicator.
You got a good deal. You will enjoy the tool.
Bob
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:49:57 GMT, "BillyBob"

Well Thanks Bob, that's good news about the belt. Mine has been replaced once by the previous owner (but maybe not with the new style) I'm glad to know it has been addressed though. You know it's funny about the whole belt issue, In spite of it seeming to be a design flaw, the blade height mechanism works very smoothly. I'm not sure about the magnifier yet, but it doesn't worry me as I'm sure I can rig up something if that doesn't work for me. All in all I like the fence so far. Looking forward to getting some accessory fences made for it. Have you made use of the slots to attach any custom fences or accessories you have made? What did you use for bolts ?
Thanks again for the response, Any doubts I had about the purchase were due to the belt and now I'm feeling pretty good about it!
Lenny

Yeah - I've had mine for over two years and paid $847 for it. My belt broke once - replacing it was a PITA. But other than that I have no complaints about the fence as many others do. The slots are nice for featherboards and Board Buddies (TM). The dust collection, is another story - it's horrid on the early models.
There's a SS group on Yahoo that has a lot of good information too.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:41:09 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Thanks Patrick ! I'm going over to Yahoo and join.I must say, I'm anxious to rebuild my jigs and sleds to fit this saw.Particularly want to make some accessory fences and make use of the slots.
Thanks again for the info. Lenny

Heads up that the left miter slot is "atypically" farther from the blade than on other saws. You can't buy a tenoning jig without a special adapter plate from Jet to accomodate the extra distance.
If you end up hating the fence, Jet supposedly has an Xacta retrofit available or in the works.
All in all, for all my gripes about the saw, it's still a better saw than I am a 'dorker.