Possible dumb questions re:brad nailer/compressor

Hi all:
Long time, no post. (C: I'm in the market for a brad nailer and compressor--but I don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm not going to use it a ton (plus, I'm cheap). I was looking on Amazon at the Grizzly H5527 nailer: http://tinyurl.com/rsc5d . I was also looking at the Campbell Hausfeld 1 gallon pancake compressor: http://tinyurl.com/rwxh9 .
I realize neither of these are heavy duty tools, but for the 2-3 times in a month I'd use them, will they suffice? I generally work with oak (sometimes maple or cherry), and usually nothing thicker than 3/4", so it looks like the nailer will drive brads that are long enough.
The nailer needs 70-110 PSI to drive it, and the compressor is rated at 90/100 PSI--so if I read the stats right, they should be a good match?
The other thing I'm wondering--are there nailer/compressor combos (either sold as a set or individual pieces) I should consider? I can tell you the closer I stay to the sub- $150 range, the happier my Chief Financial Officer (a.k.a. the wife) will be with me... :-/
Jim
I have this one and I'm very pleased with it's performance. (Amazon.com product link shortened)54010283/ref=sr_1_1/103-4078257-1763017?ie=UTF8&s=hi

hello,
I got one of the Harbour freight compressor on sale for $99 (6 galon, 115 PSI max from memory) and a couple of nailers (a mix small gage/stapple and a smaller brad only (up to 1 1/4" I think)... like you, lite useage, and I am more than happy with it, especially with the low price (the small nailer was on sale for $7!)...
cyrille

That's what everyone needs, a $99.00 Chinese pnuematic bomb.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

your price range. Also, I saw a special at woodpeckers for an oil lube compressor for $120. http://www.woodpeck.com/aircompressors.html (Sign up for their e-club to get that price) and a nailer for $79 http://www.woodpeck.com/nailgun.html (Again, sign of for their e-club to get that price) Thats a very good price for a compressor with those specs I think. Special price expires 7/28.

I am looking to buy a lift from them. Is everything cheaper, or just sale items?
you should at least check harbor freight. i have several of their air nailers and they will proform as well as the expensive ones. also have a small portable, handle type compresser bought at menards for $55.00 on sale handles the job fine. ross www.highislandexport.com
Another compressor to consider is one of the 2.5HP oil-lubed models from Grizzly's Overstock section. http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/category.aspx?key0000 They're the same price, but the twin tank model is a few pounds lighter, so there's no additional shipping charge. No experience with them, but I've heard oil-lubed is the way to go (lasts longer and runs quieter) and I just saw the sale. Good luck, Andy
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.tools-plus.com/p-ccffn251tr.html
Here's reconditioned PC compressor with 2 nailers and a stapler. I'd jump all over it if I could find someway to justify having 2 of everything.
Might be more than you want to spend (199), but it's nice to have an 18 guage nailer for trim and a 16 gauge nailer for heavier stuff (like "holding wood in place until the glue dries). The stapler is nice for fastening 1/4 plywood to the back of bookcases and many other uses.
There seems to be a consensus that this is one area where Harbor Freight is tough to beat. Their 1 1/4 and 2" brad nailers go on sale frequently for $10 to $20 and work pretty darn well.
As for the compressor, for just a brad nailer, about anything with a tank will be OK. The compressor I'm using now is so old it says "Riverside" on it. I didn't buy it new but I am old enough to know what it means. Anyone else care to show their age?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland