Possible Cross Over Finish

The model airplane (aeroplane for the Brits) business developed a heat shrink, sticky backed plastic film for covering wings etc.. Stuff isn't soluble in alcohol, gas, white gas or a little nitro. Conforms to smooth curves as well as flats and sticks "like glue". Heat gun it or iron it on and you're done. Comes in translucent or opaque.

The translucent version seems like it'd still let the grain show, albeit as if under 30 coats of shellac. Seems like this could be a great finish for some kids furniture - it comes in some pretty bright colors - even Day-Glo. Any one try this stuff - on furniture?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Sounds expensive

Reply to
Toller

Never on furniture. I wouldn't. You will have serious durability problems.

Reply to
CW

On 12/11/2005 12:41 PM charlie b mumbled something about the following:

I'm assuming you're talking about stuff like SuperKote. At $10 for a piece that covers approx 2ft by 6ft area (before shrinkage), that's pretty expensive covering.

Reply to
Odinn

Priced dewaxed shellac lately? Ever french polished a top - with 8 or 10 applications?

How much is your time worth? When you figure the cost of the finish, the time to prep the surface, time between coats, the prep for the next coat,the rubbing out when you're done... And try finding a semi- transparaent high gloss finish - in bright yellow, or red or blue, to say nothing of Day-Glo/ International Orange - well ...

I'm thinking of a cherry ply top that's going to be framed anyway - 30 minutes, including iron on time for $10 or even $20 seems cost effective. Repairing it would be a PITA but hey - it's quick, fairly durable and high gloss. A light rub with steel wool and you've got semi-gloss. Won't pop the grain but no finish does it all and none as quickly.

Priced dewaxed shellac lately?

This from a woodworker - with a few bucks wrapped up in tools and more in wood? Never could understand how some guys could stand perfectly straight and almost motionless while doing some amazing airobatics with their planes?

I'd be out there body englishing all over the place to the point where people would drop coins in my hat and mumble something about how hard it must be for "someone like him" to even get the plane off that ground, let alone fly it once it was up. If I could work some facial contortions and a little drooling for effect, I could collect enough to pay for gas and maybe a new prop or two : )

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Umm, actually, not lately, I can't even get into my shop to find my table saw, much less build anything worth putting that much work into.

Well, if you're thinking of using Day-Glo colors, I can't argue with it at all.

Covering it with SuperKote won't give you anywhere near the look of a french polished top, and not even close to a brush on poly coat. But if you want a translucent color, why not :)

Ever priced RC model airplanes? Beginner kits start around $300 and go up from there. I know one guy who has more in ONE RC airplane than I have in my Harley (and he has his garage full of them).

You just described my antics (I do the same trying to play video arcade games).

Reply to
Odinn

Reply to
Mike Berger