portercable 690 plunge

Hello,

I have a portercable 690lrvs with a fix base(1001) and a plunger base (6931). I'm in the process of doing a simple router table and I want to use my plunge base on the table. Since thts is my only router I'm looking to see if people have modefied the holding clamp on the plunge base so it's esaiser to pull out???

Thanks Christian

Reply to
Christian

Most people use the fixed base in the table. I don't find it to be a big deal to just unscrew the fixed base and take it out when I need it.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Another fixed base is only about $35.00. I have one permanently mounted to the table. About the lock on the plunge base. There is a little trick that they should put in the manual that makes it work quite easily. When you put the motor into the plunge base, don't let it slide all the way to the bottom of the casting, leave about 1/8" gap. When you want to take it out, loosen the clamp and slide the motor in the rest of the way. The clamp will release easily. The way suggested in the manual is asinine.

Reply to
CW

CW - thanks, I been struggling with that #$%# clamp since that router combo came on the market, cursing the "engineer" who designed it each time I had to change over! I've even considered buying a new router just because of the poor design of that one part. One shouldn't have to resort to tool(s) to switch bases.

Thanks again, I'll try your method next time.

Reply to
gpdewitt

Christian,

I have a Porter Cable 693 combo set like that. I'm not sure how it differs from the 690, but like you I chose to use the plunge base in my crude router table.

I didn't make any modifications to the plunge base except for adding an adjustment knob I bought from Highland Hardware.

(watch the wordwrap in the address).

If I remember right, I just removed the adjustment nuts from the guide rods and screwed the knob on. Very quick and easy.

My router is easy to access from under the table, so I just flip the lock lever, turn the knob to adjust the height I need, then lock the lever again. It works wonderfully.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

"Christian" wrote in news:ea2fe.9138$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

I have been less than positively impressed with the plunge base for the 690 series. As another poster indicated, a spare fixed base is pretty inexpensive, and ends up getting a fair anount of use. I put mine in a horizontal configuration once in a while, for some mortising applications.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I'm looking to pick up a fixed base for my PC691 to leave in my router table- anyone have a link to a supplier that has got them at a decent price? I know it's not exactly on the original topic, but it seemed like a good thread to throw this into.

Thanks!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Nice tip and one that I'll be sure to use IF I ever get my plunge base to mate with my 690.

I bought a brand new kit, "new, old stock" on eBay. Router works fine in the fixed base but is damn near impossible to get the motor into the plunge base. I completely removed the locking unit on the plunge base and the router motor will not simply slip into the cast plunge base - it's as if it's a few thousandths shy of the correct diameter. It's not obviously deformed and if I push like crazy, carefully, it will go in but then it's equally difficult to remove. Waxing the router motor helps but only marginally.

PC Tech support says it's not a common problem and cautioned me to make sure the locking mechanism was totally removed (after ignoring my statement that that's exactly what I'd already done). They suggested that if that doesn't work, to take it in to one of their service centers which I will be doing.

Anyone else run across this problem? It appears as if the casting's been properly machined, i.e. didn't slip past the inspectors on a lunch break.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You can't be sure that it was properly machined by looking at it. You need to measure. If it's that tight, there is a problem. My plunge base also has a problem. I had had it over a year before I tried to mount an edge guide to it. I have the PC adjustable edge guide that fits the fixed base just fine. The mounting holes on the plunge base are out of position far enough that the edge guide will not fit. I have a PC service center about 1/4 mile down the road. Asked them about it and they basically said "tough shit".

Reply to
CW

Well, that's certainly good news - NOT!

Here's the response I received. Hopefully, by taking it to the FACTORY service center rather than an "Authorized" I might have better luck.

Think I'll dig out the warranty as well. The time has long since elapsed on this new old stock router set purchased from a private party but if the base doesn't properly fit the router there may be some merchantability issues which transcend the warranty. I hope!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Prometheus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Uhmmm, I bought mine off the shelf at the local Rockler store. Seemed like a good idea at the time, three years ago or so.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Mark Thieme

No local Rockler here... and the place I bought the router doesn't have them, so mail-order is where it's at, unfortunately.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Give eBay a try. I've seen them there. Prices, as usual, go from "should I wear a mask when I buy this" to "Are you outta your freaking mind?"

You never know, you might get lucky and the only way you can overpay is if you decide you have to have it and catch auction fever.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Coastal Tool sells the fixed base for $49. I don't know if this is high, low, or in the middle but Coastal usually has good prices.

Lee Gordon

"Lee Gordon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

When the stars align properly, you can get the whole fixed speed, fixed base 690LR router kit for $99.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

You're an evil one, Patriarch. Now I want a whole new router, instead of just the base. Shame on you! :)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Where?

'cause I always need another router! Coastal's $129 for the whole shebang. I grabbed a Bosch 1617 fixed/fixed, refurbished for $89, last year.

On another note, I just bought 3/4" genuine Pony pipe clamps for an everyday low price of $7.96 there! The BORG across the street is $12.96.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

My dusty recollection was that HD had them at Christmas time on promo, and several other sources as well.

As the B&D/PC lines are 'resolved', I would think that opportunities for additional 'tool investment' might present themselves.

If I were to spend any more right now on tooling, my wife would likely hit me with the contents of the tool shrine.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch