Porter's Bed

Hey group!
I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats. The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some abuse from a 3-year old.
Comments welcomed and encouraged.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Porters_Bed.htm

I like the design.
Really nice work. Make sure to leave the curtains open to let that Cherry start to darken. You can even just leave it outside on a sunny and you'll see darkening.

"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

Nice, Porter has a winner.
Lew
Thanks everyone! I really wanted that "P" in the slat, but it looked junky. Can anyone recomend a good resource for learning inlay?
Thanks Brian
I'm a machine guy. After seeing my buddy do some inlay using his laser to cut the bed and the inlay I decided to never learn. But I would say it is probably like doing hand cut dovetails... practice.
http://www.alohacabinetry.com/gallery2.htm you can see some (not to close up) pictures here, click the images at the bottom left and bottom right.

Thanks for the link. My inlay didn't fit very well and out of frustration I smacked it into place with a mallet. It broke in three places, but suprisingly it went in. I applied glue to the cracks and made flush. It didn't look too bad, but not good enough. I think your right, it just takes practice.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Very nicely done!
Tanus

Thanks for posting that. It looks great - it's good to see pictures of the finished product after seeing the plans from your previous post.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Very nice -- nice clean design