Porter's Bed

Hey group!

I made this bed from cherry for my three year old son Porter. All of the joinery consists of floating tenons including the slats. I was able to find some really nice spalted cherry for a few of the slats. The remaining slats have some really nice pitch pockets that really appeal to me. It is my own design (my wife helped) and is finished with 3-coats of polyurethane (hvlp). This finish should tolerate some abuse from a 3-year old.

Comments welcomed and encouraged.

GarageWoodworks

I like the design.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Nice, Porter has a winner.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks everyone! I really wanted that "P" in the slat, but it looked junky. Can anyone recomend a good resource for learning inlay?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Very nicely done!

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

the finished product after seeing the plans from your previous post.

Reply to
karmstrn

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'm a machine guy. After seeing my buddy do some inlay using his laser to cut the bed and the inlay I decided to never learn. But I would say it is probably like doing hand cut dovetails... practice.

Thanks everyone! =A0I really wanted that "P" in the slat, but it looked

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks for the link. My inlay didn't fit very well and out of frustration I smacked it into place with a mallet. It broke in three places, but suprisingly it went in. I applied glue to the cracks and made flush. It didn't look too bad, but not good enough. I think your right, it just takes practice.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks