Porter Cable vs. Bostitch Finish Nailer Combo Kits

After manually installing baseboards in half my house and borrowing my neighbor's nail gun/compressor for another quater, I'm ready to take the plung and buy my own finish nailer. I looked around the local big box stores and found a couple of good deals. HD has a Porter Cable "starter kit" details below for $299:
Brad nailer kit (BN125A) Uses 18 gauge, 5/8" to 1-1/4" brad nails. Finish-Nailer kit (FN250B) Uses 16 gauge, 3/4" to 2-1/2" finish nails. Features include adjustable depth-of-drive, jam release mechanism and non-marring nose tip, 10 Amp, 120 VAC, 2 Peak HP motor, Oil-free design for less maintenance, Ability to run on standard household current. 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI - 2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
And Lowes has a (suspiciously) similar Bostitch kit for $299, details below:
Depth adjustment Sequential trip trigger 2 HP, 6 gallon compressor 1-1/2" 16 gauge finish nailer kit 15/8" 18 gauge brad nailer kit Includes hose and all required fittings 70 to 120 psi required to operate tool
My question is should I just toss a coin? Who is the better manufacturer? Which one is of a better quality? I see a definite possibility of renting/buying a framing nailer to build a shed next summer, would that make a difference in the recommendation?
Thanks, Mark

Toss away. I have a PC and a Bostitch. Both are equally good, IMO. This is a case where you can use all the wrong reasons and make the right decision. Buy the one with the pretty color. Or buy the one with the cute sales person. Or buy the one with the 20 off coupon. Or the closest on the way home from work.
OK, I'll toss, you call it. + + + + + + + It came out TAILS
I have to agree here. I have a PC just because I like PC but I have used both. If I were in the market for another one, I would buy which ever was available.
wrote in message

is
decision.

Did you really mean 1-1/2" for Bostitch, vs 2-1/2" for PC? That extra inch makes a difference in terms of holding power, etc. I have the PC compressor and it works well. I have Senco nail guns which I bought on special on Amazon. They have deals there, too.

Yeah, 2 different style guns. The Bostich is a Brad nailer while the PC is a Finish nailer. I'd go for the finish nailer myself.
I bought the PC kit from amazon.com several months ago. Works great, no complaints. BTW, amazon.com has the same kit for $299 - $25 for any tool purchase over $199. Free shipping & no sales tax...
Ron

below:
I would wait on either, till around the first of October. PC usually will come around with some deals to clear out their inventory and some good deals may be had to make room for next years stuff that'll showcase for Christmas.

below:
Mark Witczak wrote:

I just put the second replacement trigger assembly on my Bostich. And I seldom use it. I would vote for the Porter Cable (which my brother has). He has never had any problems with it.
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

below:
Try Harbor Freight I have 2 finish mailers from them and use the crap out of them.

Fifteen gauge? If so, do you use any non HF nails?
I bought an 18 gauge brad nailer from HF that goes upto 2" and it works quite well, at least for the light duty I have given it. not bad for $20 on sale. It even came with a spare piston and o-ring.

I bought the Porter Cable Combo kit from HD several months ago and am very happy with it. No problems. Works great.
Jim www.woodblog.com

I bought the Old Starter Kit from HD a year or two ago - just the compressor and the FN250B. Recently added a HF brad nailer for $20.
I like the FN250B. The compressor is fine, although the On/Off switch broke off of it shortly.
I agree with some of the others - toss a coin.
Mark Witczak wrote:
<snip>

The deciding factor for me was the availability on nails at various different hardware stores in my area. The PC type were readily available. Nails for the Bostitch were not.
Is there much of a difference between 15 & 16 guage as far as usefulness is concerned? I will be doing do all the finish work in my new house.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Yes. Big difference.
I can't think of anything you do with a 16 gauge that can't be done with an 18 gauge. Not so with 15.

I have a Bostitch office stapler (for paper) that is over 40 years old. It is built like a tank. But, for air nailer guns, my choice would be Porter Cable. Senco is the Cadillac of air guns.

Staplers? Only one. Swingline Model 747 circa 1983.
No one's allowed to touch my stapler. No one...
HAVE THE PORTER CABLE COMBO, NO PROBLEMS, GOOD PRESSUE, LASTS A LONG TIME BEFORE CYCLING ON, IE LESS LOUD RUN TIME. WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. ALSO GOT A GREAT DEAL LAST YEAR AT THE BORG. IF YOU CAN WAIT, AMAZON IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT WAY TO GO. BOUGHT MY TABLE SAW FROM THEM. WHAT A SAVINGS.
REMOVE REMOVE TO EMAIL
STEVE

below: