Porter Cable versus Hitachi router opinion wanted.

I have been looking at the PC 694VK and the Hitachi KM12VC routers. Both have the fixed and plunge bases that come with them. I cannot decide which one to purchase. Tool Crib has them for nearly the same price. I primarily will be using it for routing dovetails on my Leigh jig and for misc operations. I will not be using it in a router table. Which one do you folks like the best for these operations? The Hitatchi has a 1/2 more HP. I don't think it would make that much difference for what I want to use it for. Thanks for your opinions,

Reply to
Dave

I have the P_C and I like it alot....Brian

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

PC was rated very high is Tauntons tool guide...

Reply to
Buster

I used to buy a lot of PC routers. The quality has deteriorated, at least with their production routers. The higher failure rate in their bearings, forced me to look at other routers. I have been very pleased with the M12V in the plunge category and it HAS to be the best bang for the buck out there. For the smaller routers, I'm completely sold on the Milwaukee 1516. It takes all the PC template bushing with an optional base-plate (or you can buy one from Pat Warner, if you want a very nice one.) I'm very impressed with the Milwaukee routers. I have 3 now and work them very hard under less that favourable conditions (solid surface fabrication). That 5616 runs like a Swiss watch at low RPM..and rated at 2.25 HP..has LOTS of balls.

The usual caveats..no..I don't work for Milwaukee..not even their breweries.

Reply to
Robatoy

I like the Porter Cable. Since you are not to use it in a router table, I'd go with the lighter-weight model which can be easier to handle.

Reply to
Phisherman

And the Porter Cable is very easy to switch bases, also Micro Adjust. I love mine.

Reply to
Astriapo