Porter Cable Omnijig

I'm thinking of getting a dovetail jig after the first of the year. The PC Omnijig (16 inch) looks good. Any pros and cons from owners would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
I had a big one with all of the attachments. I made a lot of drawers with the half blind dovetail template. Used the 1/4 inch finger joint a lot. Had the adjustable dovetail set and it worked fine. The biggest problem with all of these jigs on the market is the simpler the jig the easiest to learn. The Omni will do a great job but it takes time to learn. max

Time to learn is no problem. I'll be retiring in June.
Mike

Since that's the case, why not start now to learn to whack 'em out by hand?
By the time it might take to master the PC Omnijig you could be teaching the rest of us how to to use Japanese pull saws to cut the little debils -- you'd save a small fortune and you could charge tuition to make up for the SS losses sure to come :-/
--
Enjoy life and *do* well by it
-- it might well be the only chance you get :-)

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
On 24 Dec 2004 17:30:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (SteveC1280) wrote:

Steve, I hope to enjoy myself while I can (I'll only be 60 when I retire). I plan to keep busy in the shop and watching the grandson after school.
Mike
Mike, I am almost 68 and am retired and working more than ever before. I have the best "job" on earth...getting tools to review and use. As to Omnijig, it has no greater learning curve thatn any of the others.
I agree, it isn't very difficult to learn to use a tool. Mastering it is another issue.
Mike
On 26 Dec 2004 06:59:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JLucas ILS) wrote:

I have to comment on your last sentence....
I am now 61...(just had a birthday last week) and I retired the day I turned 55....
It does NOT take long for those "stacks" of wood to disapear..BELIEVE ME.... I thought I had enouygh to last forever ... dumb me !
Nor does it take much time before you start to notice you do not have any ..... (time that is)
Lots of luck....
Bob Griffiths
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:40:34 -0500, Bob G.

Well, if we're bragging, I've been retired a year longer than you and I'm only 58 (although 59 next month).
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
.

No I was not bragging...because I still work one evening a week just to remine myself why the hell I retired in the first place... Plus I find 6 day weekends to be much more enjoyable then 7 day weeks....
BUT my main reason was to tell the OP that his "stack" of lumber will disapear a lot faster then he thinks...
I know the " lifetime " supply I accumulated before I retired only lasted me a few years LOL
Bob Griffiths.
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 11:12:13 -0500, Bob G.

I know, but I needed to.

Absolutely.
I never have acquired a lot of lumber. So I had to brag about retirement...
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
You have to tell us what you want to use it for! It is well suited for somethings, and not so good for others.

Well, I would like to make different kinds of boxes and new kitchen drawers with it to start. What is it not suited well for.
Mike

It would be great for new kitchen drawers. If comes into it's own making a lot of exactly the same standard half blind dovetails; like what your kitchen drawers will need. Though the 16" capacity will be wasted. Maybe a smaller, cheaper, jig will be okay for that also, but none have the reassuring mass of an omnijig. (The 24" weighs 60 pounds; I don't know about the 16".)
It is not so good with creative variable stuff. Some of the other, more complicated, jigs do that better.

PC has, or will have soon, a new model 4212 12" deluxe Jig. The PC site makes it sound good. I'll wait till I can actually look at the 12" deluxe and the 16" Omnijig (if I can find them at Lowes or HD).
Thanks for the feedback.
Mike

Yeh, I read the description. It is sheet steel instead of cast aluminum. Might be as good, or might just be the same as all the cheapies.