Porter cable edge guide

Just picked one up andwas wondering if anyone had one. If you like it or not....Brian 42690 is the part #.
I have one and it works well - on a 690 router. The down side is I also have a PC 893 router and, although the holes on the 893 router base have the same spacing as the 690, the pins on the 42690 are too thick to fit into the 893 holes. I wrote to PC to as if they have plans to offer replacement pins (the pins screw into the 42690) that would allow the 42690 to fit the 893 and they said 'no'. The moral of the story, PC has a great accessory fence but it won't fit their newest router model for want of replacement pins that are 1/16" thinner.

If thats all you could have new pins made...Icould make them with no problem......Brian

Mine came with 2 sets of pins with instructions that one set should be used for the 690 and the others for other models of routers. Perhaps you could call a local PC parts counter and see if the pins are available seperately
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:04:43 GMT, "Jim Giblin"

ream the holes.
You know, I never thought of that but I don't know if I'd use the fence on the 893 often (since I can use the 690) to make it worth the effort. But my point was that accessories should work across a product line especially if the factory spec could specify a larger ream or the fence could come with different posts (they just screw in).
or

On Thu Aug 05, I was peacefully napping until Jim Giblin said:

And considering they have a printed coupon for a free edge guide if you buy one or another of the 89x configurations or a 690lr I would think it should fit also :-)
Mike
--

net [one dot] verizon [cymbal] ballard [no spaces] mike [reverse the whole thing]

"Who would Osama bin Laden vote for?"
Mike Ballard wrote:

The fence for the bigger routers won't fit the 890 or 690 either. I picked up a 47000 fence and had to sell it. Looks like the bar that the pins screw into could have a few different holes (in fact it has two sets of pins and holes already) for each of the different router models. Even the bar that the pins are held into is bolted to the rest of the guise so it could be replaceable too. If I had decent enough tools to do metal working (threading the pins) I'd make and sell adapters.
I can do all the machining of the parts CNC. Can do hundreds at a time if need be......I just dont have all the different sizes out there, if i had that I could make them.......Brian
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:02:38 GMT, "Jim Giblin"

I think we're seeing the bean counter mindset gaining hold at PC. Damn shame....
Bridger responds:

Everywhere. I'm curious to see what will be the result of the buy-out. Same? Better? Worse?
Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker

Same?
Isn't it just a "natural" cycle? Cut costs, quality suffers, market share dips, institute Quality Improvement programs? I'm nearing 50 and it sure feels like I've seen this cycle about 6 times now...
On 06 Aug 2004 07:22:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

it won't get better unless there's some serious competition. mebbe triton, fein and festo will be the right kick in the ass...