Porter Cable Drill Press

Page 2 of 2

That sounds like the voice of experience Leon.
On 11/10/2011 12:57 PM, Dave wrote:

Not that I can recall LOL.

I suppose one could sneak up on a large Forstner from 3:00, 6:00, or 9:00 and get "bit". OTOH, most DP "oopses" I've seen are hold-down problems (not the bit that bites, but the work piece).

Of course (no pun) for some production or repeated setup I adjust the fence, stop blocks or make a fixture. But even setting up those items the laser helps me get them dead on. Also lots of my daily use is one hole here and there and using a brad point bit and some pencil marks I can nail the center like never before. Maybe it's just me but I always had trouble getting the dill point to line up to marks and often had to contact the wood before I could tell if I was lined up but with the laser I find it much easier.

I guess my biggest complaint is when using a Forstner bit, the laser does not reach the work at all with a moderately large bit unless it is way up. Additionally I find it way to easy to knock the lasers out of alignment. AND My marks tend to be relative narrow compared to the width of the laser, and the laser hides the mark so I don't know if my mark is centered under the laser line or off to one edge of the laser line.

I was using a 1 1/3" forstner and don't recall having a problem. Also I was able to see my pencil marks under the laser on black phenolic. I haven't knocked them out of adjustment...yet. Haven't ever calibrated them that I recall (maybe I did when I set it up). But don't even recall exactly where it/they are installed. I just quickly got used to them and found them very effective... for me.

I'm guessing that you're aware you can compenesate for those large shadowding bits by just starting the hole with the tip and then retracting the bit to see if the cross hairs line up with it. But, it does take a little more time and effort.

Sounds like my last date.
On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:51:52 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Yeah, I've had a few difficult dates too. The worst one that comes to mind was the nurse who warned me against coming onto her even before I opened the car door for her to get in. In retrospect, I should have ended the date right there and then.

He said CROSS hairs.
On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:12:03 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

It leaves me wondering why her hairs were so mad at him.
-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour
On 11/8/2011 3:35 PM, Dave wrote:

Yes! but I have broad lines on mine and there is no instruction on making the line of the laser narrower. Basically I can move the mark and it is still under the crossing laser lines.
If I need to make repeated holes I simply draw a square line to the edge of the piece that will touch the fence. I drop the bit to touch the line and attach a piece of tape and mark a line on it at the line on the board. Next board aligns to that mark on the fence.

At first I read "... into her" but then saw it was "onto her". Actually, for me either is OK as long as I get to.

Perhaps yours isn't adjusted properly? The lasers on my Delta 18-900L align perfectly over the range of the table. It takes a little work to dial them in but once it's set up it's great.
On 11/8/2011 11:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My lasers align, they just are low resolution, I have made them as narrow as possible according to the instructions.

I have a DP-300 with the laser. I seldom use it. It's a pain to re- calibrate if you bump it, and the line width is too fat for accurate positioning.

Lasers on my PC chop saw died when the cheap 5 cent flashlight switch died. They worked okay for aligning the head to a layout line, but weren't essential. If I'm shooting for hairline precision on a machine -- say, for drilling in hinges -- nothing makes the job easier than a 60 watt lamp placed within 6" of the mark and a cheap pair of dollar store 3x reading glasses.