Porter Cable Drill Press

It leaves me wondering why her hairs were so mad at him.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here ya go, old man:

maybe you can see those 1/64 and RCH lines on the better tapes.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Perhaps yours isn't adjusted properly? The lasers on my Delta 18-900L align perfectly over the range of the table. It takes a little work to dial them in but once it's set up it's great.

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:19:04 -0800, Larry Jaques

Hey, have a little compassion for the old guy. He has to keep his hands free for operate the drill press.

Dave

My lasers align, they just are low resolution, I have made them as narrow as possible according to the instructions.

Reply to
Leon

I don't have a problem seeing the markings, as long as they are not under the wide laser beams.

Reply to
Leon

I have a DP-300 with the laser. I seldom use it. It's a pain to re- calibrate if you bump it, and the line width is too fat for accurate positioning.

Reply to
wb8nbs

Yeah, it wouldn't be bad if the lasers were the exact same width as the blade, or started exactly on one side of the cut. I haven't liked any of the lasers I've used on tools, either.

-- Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. -- Matthew Arnold

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A 1/8" laser would be nice for a SCMS. The laser on my Bosch is on the left side of the cut. If I put the mark exactly on the laser, the piece to the left is the right size. Since I'm right-handed, my left is generally holding the piece of interest; works out fine.

Reply to
krw

My Delta 12" CMS has lasers on both sides of the blade and they are dead on. They have an adjustment, but I've never had to reset it after the initial set-up. The lines can be spread out or tightened up to adjust for blade kerf.

In this case, the width of the laser (not anywhere as wide as those in the pics shown) is irrelevant, because I adjusted them to be on the outside of the cut. Like when you mark a measurement with a pencil line to "save the line" or "cut the line." My CMS lasers are adjusted to save the line and they are dead on accurate.

I've seen some of these wide, fuzzy laser lines on other tools and thought that the judicious placement of some electrical tape on the lens might effect a sharpening of the line. Creating a fine slit through which the laser has to exit couple perhaps thin the line at the stock. It's worth a few minutes of experimentation, at least.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Since it's on the outside, why would you have to adjust it for the kerf width? A wider blade will move the hub that much further out. Your laser thingy isn't on the hub?

As with my Bosh, though it's only on the left side of the blade.

I was playing with my Delta drill press again today. I see what others were talking about with the wide lines. For very accurate work I would use a jig but it's nice to have the third dimension taken out of the equation. If for nothing else, it's a good sanity check. The Bosch SCMS' line is really narrow, though (I noticed it needed a new battery, today).

Reply to
krw

It is not. The assembly is mounted on the front portion of the fixed metal blade shroud. The blade guard has slats that allow the light to pass.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The laser on the DP can be like a "Drill Stop". If the lines cross any part of your finger, hand , or other body part don't lower the bit. ;~)

You can trust that! Yes, it's THAT accurate.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:40:11 -0600, Leon

That sounds like the voice of experience Leon.

Reply to
Dave

Not that I can recall LOL.

Reply to
Leon

Well, since the lines extend 18" from the bit, it certainly would be safe. I suppose one could sneak up on a large Forstner from 3:00, 6:00, or 9:00 and get "bit". OTOH, most DP "oopses" I've seen are hold-down problems (not the bit that bites, but the work piece).

Reply to
krw

Lasers on my PC chop saw died when the cheap 5 cent flashlight switch died. They worked okay for aligning the head to a layout line, but weren't essential. If I'm shooting for hairline precision on a machine -- say, for drilling in hinges -- nothing makes the job easier than a 60 watt lamp placed within 6" of the mark and a cheap pair of dollar store

3x reading glasses.
Reply to
Father Haskell