Porter Cable Drill Press

Page 1 of 2
I bought the 1HP Porter Cable drill press at Lowes for ~$300. Loving it.
Can I say I love the laser that throws an X to mark the spot. This is one gimick worth the time to keep working and calibrated.
Runs pretty smooth (rattles a bit like all non-gear head drill- presses). Nice belt change setup and tensioner. Includes a light on a flex arm which is real nice to have and the red laser still shows up fine.
Did I say I love the X laser?
I only posses one too with a laser cutting line. My slide mitre saw. I wouldn't be without it, after first use. The drill press sounds like an awesome thing to have laser, also, but I am not sure about many other tools benefit from it much. Laser on my hammer would be real nice.
How do they align the laser markings at any height of drill surface. It would seem to have to shine down the shaft of the drill bit and that doesn't sound possible?? Smoke and mirrors? Moving mechanism?
-------------- "SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I bought the 1HP Porter Cable drill press at Lowes for ~$300. Loving it.
Can I say I love the laser that throws an X to mark the spot. This is one gimick worth the time to keep working and calibrated.
Runs pretty smooth (rattles a bit like all non-gear head drill- presses). Nice belt change setup and tensioner. Includes a light on a flex arm which is real nice to have and the red laser still shows up fine.
Did I say I love the X laser?

Haven't really even looked at the optics but somehow they cast two lines as an x that stays crossed in the same location regarless of table height (so far) and stay visible right up until the drill tip contacts.
My miter laser died and I never looked into fixing it. I only use for rough cuts, construction type stuff withthe exception of crown molding. Then I use a fixture. All precise cross cuts get done on the TS.
A laser on my Glock would be good. The 12 guage seems to work well without one. ;^)
OK Thanx for that! Duh!!
It just kicked in how easy the cross hairs would be with two projecting line lasers at 90 degrees to each other on the bit point.
------------- "SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Haven't really even looked at the optics but somehow they cast two lines as an x that stays crossed in the same location regarless of table height (so far) and stay visible right up until the drill tip contacts.
-----------------

On 11/08/11 4:13 PM, m II wrote:

Well that makes a confirmation the two top posting morons are the same person.
--
Froz...

On 11/8/2011 11:25 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I have a Delta DP that came with the laser and would not miss it if quit working. Am I missing something here? Now I will admit that for coarse locating I am ok with it but not for accurate repeated drilling.

Obviously, you feel that the lasers aren't reliable enough for accurate repeated drilling. Would you use them if they were or are you of the old school frame of mind ~ preferring the method you've always had to use?
On 11/8/2011 3:13 PM, Dave wrote:

I think they are reliable but I have not yet seen one that you can get a repeatable mark to say 1/32" of an inch. The lines are too coarse. Like trying to measure 32nds" of an inch with a rule that has 1/32" wide markings.
Just aim for the`middle of the lines. This would be no different than using a steel rule in Machine Shop training for 0.001" accuracy.
Now old eyes may change a few things.
------------------
"Leon" wrote in message
I think they are reliable but I have not yet seen one that you can get a repeatable mark to say 1/32" of an inch. The lines are too coarse. Like trying to measure 32nds" of an inch with a rule that has 1/32" wide markings.

That all depends on how thick and how sharply the laser lines are definded.
On 11/8/2011 3:36 PM, Dave wrote:

Correct but I have yet to see a line thinner than 1/32"

Here ya go, old man: http://goo.gl/K4Hv6 Now maybe you can see those 1/64 and RCH lines on the better tapes.
-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:19:04 -0800, Larry Jaques

Hey, have a little compassion for the old guy. He has to keep his hands free for operate the drill press. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pR368&cat=1,43456,43351,52368
On 11/8/2011 11:19 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I don't have a problem seeing the markings, as long as they are not under the wide laser beams.

Yeah, it wouldn't be bad if the lasers were the exact same width as the blade, or started exactly on one side of the cut. I haven't liked any of the lasers I've used on tools, either.
-- Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. -- Matthew Arnold
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 07:43:50 -0800, Larry Jaques

A 1/8" laser would be nice for a SCMS. The laser on my Bosch is on the left side of the cut. If I put the mark exactly on the laser, the piece to the left is the right size. Since I'm right-handed, my left is generally holding the piece of interest; works out fine.
On 11/9/11 10:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

My Delta 12" CMS has lasers on both sides of the blade and they are dead on. They have an adjustment, but I've never had to reset it after the initial set-up. The lines can be spread out or tightened up to adjust for blade kerf.
In this case, the width of the laser (not anywhere as wide as those in the pics shown) is irrelevant, because I adjusted them to be on the outside of the cut. Like when you mark a measurement with a pencil line to "save the line" or "cut the line." My CMS lasers are adjusted to save the line and they are dead on accurate.
I've seen some of these wide, fuzzy laser lines on other tools and thought that the judicious placement of some electrical tape on the lens might effect a sharpening of the line. Creating a fine slit through which the laser has to exit couple perhaps thin the line at the stock. It's worth a few minutes of experimentation, at least.
--

-MIKE-

Since it's on the outside, why would you have to adjust it for the kerf width? A wider blade will move the hub that much further out. Your laser thingy isn't on the hub?

As with my Bosh, though it's only on the left side of the blade.

I was playing with my Delta drill press again today. I see what others were talking about with the wide lines. For very accurate work I would use a jig but it's nice to have the third dimension taken out of the equation. If for nothing else, it's a good sanity check. The Bosch SCMS' line is really narrow, though (I noticed it needed a new battery, today).
On 11/9/11 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It is not. The assembly is mounted on the front portion of the fixed metal blade shroud. The blade guard has slats that allow the light to pass.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/9/2011 7:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

The laser on the DP can be like a "Drill Stop". If the lines cross any part of your finger, hand , or other body part don't lower the bit. ;~)
You can trust that! Yes, it's THAT accurate.