porter cable dovetail jig

I bought the pc dovetail jig 4212 and really love it. for the first time I am able to make dovetails for drawers etc, and they do look sweet. My question is, does anyone know where I can get replacement bits. I would like an extra set, so I can send one for sharpening, and still be able to continue with my projects. Plus just like everything, the original bit will wear out and need to be replaced. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
steve
What kind of bit did it come with? I have the older 4112 and it came with a junk 1/4" HSS dovetail bit. I burnt it out after a few days of use and replaced it with a 1/2" carbide bit which I'm still using to this day. All the name brand bit makers (Freud, CMT, etc.) have them as well as the imports (Woodline, Grizzly, etc.). Your favorite woodworking store will have it.

it came with a carbide bit, good bit but even the porter cable site parts section doesn't have them. it is a 7 degree 17/32" dovetail 1/2" shank bit the product code is 43776 PC

I have the same 4112 jig and bit and wonder what you mean by "burned it out"? Mine has discolored and looks rusted after a weekend of heavy practice and use.
Is it junk now?
Thx

Yeah, what Al said. There's nothing magical about the dovetail bit it comes with. Just buy another one when needed. As someone mentioned when I was first getting familiar with the 4212 that I recently bought, each dovetail bit has a magical depth setting that cuts the pins and tails such that they generate a snug fit. If you've gone through that process with the current bit, it's likely the depth setting will be different for the next one.
todd
forgive my amateurishism, but dovetails are still new and mysterious. can i use a different size/degree bit in the same jig? Is the jig teeth geared for a particular size bit, or am I just having trouble "picturing" that I can use any bit
steve

Hi Steve, Not every bit will "fit" each jig. See below as an example. I have a Leigh jig and for HB dovetails, the width of the bit and the angle will determine the length of sides of the dovetail hence the thickness of wood a bit can handle. Cheers, JG
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1136283098_20052+70
superpac wrote:

okay, another question. for through dovetails, I need to use both a dovetail bit (17/32"), and a straight bit (13/32"). If I do use a different size dovetail for example 3/4" 7 degree. what size straight bit would I need? based on the originals, I would assume that I need one that is approx 1/8" smaller in diameter. does this continue to hold true if I use a bit with a different degree ie 7.5 or 8 degrees.
jg, thanks for the website also. at least I can order the original bit if I want to. but I may try other sizes as well.
steve

hi Steve, I don't know. Maybe it's too early in the morning. The following may help. Cheers, JG
http://www.leighjigs.com/cutters-d4.php