Porter Cable Cordless Router

Any opinions from users. I was going to buy one to use on outside projects like decks and the like. I already have the 19.2volt drill and circular saw combo so I already have the batteries.

Reply to
DScheffold

IMHO, most good quality power tools will last a long long time. The batteries do not. The history of most battery packs by most manufacturers shows that they change styles often and you eventually cannot easily replace the battery packs. In that scenario, you end up with a bunch of tools with a lot of use left in them and perhaps no battery to use in them.

Reply to
Leon

Replacement batteries maybe costly and difficult to come by, but there's a growing segment of the industry that rebuilds batteries. About six months ago, I had the batteries rebuild for my Milwaukee cordless drill and once again, it operates like new.

Reply to
Upscale

The internal cells aren't usually that hard to replace. Batteries America, Mr NiCd, and others can provide built up backs to put inside the shell.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I understand the battery issues but I am mostly concerned if it does the job.

Reply to
DScheffold

Who do you use for battery rebuild?

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander

They're called Magnacharge, but they're up here in Canada where I live. You should be able to find someone in your area by looking in the local Yellow Pages under batteries.

Reply to
Upscale

Yeah I had a set rebuilt about 6 years ago but for me the cordless drill in enough, give me a cord for everything else.

Reply to
Leon

I do own one and used it extensively prior to getting this particular shop wired up a couple of years ago when we were building the house. I used it daily for about a month to do a lot of the cabinet work. It doesn't get much use these days, but when you need it on a site with no electricity, it does the job.

I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who has electrictiy handy because of its price ... however, if you can afford it, and often have a need for a battery operated tool of this nature, go for it.

With regard to the discussion about the batteries. The following company is HIGHLY recommended. I have them re-build all my rechargeable batteries and the difference between the increased power and charge holding ability of the rebuilt, and what they were like when new, is night and day.

Swingman

What do you mean by expensive? I am able to buy it for $119. This is why I am considering it.

Reply to
DScheffold

which is why I let my Dewalt cordless drill go for $5 at a garage sale. I warned the guy finding batteries would be tough, but I think he knew where he could get them...

dave

Le> IMHO, most good quality power tools will last a long long time. The

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Buy the damn thing then ... I purchased the router when it first came out and it was over $250.

Reply to
Swingman

Swing I am interested in Primecell but their price to rebuild my 15.6 = batteries is $2.50 more + shipping than the Dewalt store. Do you think = the improved performance they promise is worth the extra cash ? Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

One of a kind now, (makita had one). Wonderful, quiet, powerful, but top heavy. Has effectively 7/8 HP, would not use it as a 690, but for light, quick, or experimental cuts:anytime. Of course you can use it where there is no power.

(Routers)

Routerman P. Warner

I own one and though I was skeptical at first I've come to really like it. If you are just doing a moderate amount of routing away from the shop it sure beats having to string cord and find an outlet someplace.

Reply to
Victor Frost