Porter cable belt sander model 371K

Anybody used this little guy? All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
CW

Go one for Chrtistmas...cool tool. Not used a bunch, but it will cut some material and doesn't feel like you are holding up a anvil.

I think it will really come in handy for scribing...

CW wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Recently got one and I like it a whole lot, too. It's great for a hacker like me whose motto is "cut once, sand twice."

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Watch your back. You are treading on treacherous ground saying that on this newsgroup.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Them's fightin' words... I was just going to say that I don't have that model, but I have an old little "Sandcat" or something like that which takes 2.5"x16" belts, IIRC. Same size range, at any rate. Handy size for a belt sander, in my opinion. It's nice for rough, quickly-slapped-together work like an ape might do, but hand planes or scrapers work better for any fine furniture building. (just a reply in kind...) Andy

Reply to
Andy

RE: Subject

A silk purse a pig's ear does not make.

As long as you treat a belt sander as an abrasive cutting tool, you will be OK.

Even consider the possibility that it might be a finishing tool and you will be on a slippery slope that you won't want to be on, unless of course you are a top shop.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett