Porter cable belt sander model 371K

Anybody used this little guy? All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Go one for Chrtistmas...cool tool. Not used a bunch, but it will cut some material and doesn't feel like you are holding up a anvil.
I think it will really come in handy for scribing...
CW wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

like me whose motto is "cut once, sand twice."
Thanks for the responses guys. Think I'll get one. BTW, until recently, I was doing most all flatening and finishing with hand planes and scrapers. The only sander I owned was a finisher. Recent convert to sanding. It really is a better way.

CW wrote:

this newsgroup.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Them's fightin' words... I was just going to say that I don't have that model, but I have an old little "Sandcat" or something like that which takes 2.5"x16" belts, IIRC. Same size range, at any rate. Handy size for a belt sander, in my opinion. It's nice for rough, quickly-slapped-together work like an ape might do, but hand planes or scrapers work better for any fine furniture building. (just a reply in kind...) Andy
RE: Subject
A silk purse a pig's ear does not make.
As long as you treat a belt sander as an abrasive cutting tool, you will be OK.
Even consider the possibility that it might be a finishing tool and you will be on a slippery slope that you won't want to be on, unless of course you are a top shop.
Lew