Porter Cable Air Compressor

I'm going to buy my first air compressor/finish nailer combo kit and I was hoping for some advice/info. I see that both Porter Cable and Bostitch offer what seems to be nice sets that include a 6 gal pancake compressor with a brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler. I need a little help with the compressor. The bostitch is 135psi max at 2hp peak and 2.1cfm @ 90 psi while the Porter Cable is 150psi, 2.6 cfm @ 90psi but only .8 hp!

Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time, the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the Porter Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jimmy

For single nail gun use either will be fine. I would look at the warranty of both.

Reply to
Leon

The 2 hp peak is just that - the maximum hp in any given cycle. The .8 hp may be average (they aren't real specific). If so, then the peak hp would be 1.6. Furthermore, the actual hp depends on what one considers as the allowable temperature rise.

In all likelihood both units would drive a single finish nailer quite well.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

For me, it's not necessarily have fast they recover, but how frequently they must recover under use ... for nail gun and general shop use I would go with the higher psi capacity, ignore the HP.

IME, expect the PC oil less to last about 3 - 4 years max under moderately heavy use, then get ready for replace it. I can't speak to the Bostich in that regard.

Reply to
Swingman

It appears that PC is using a realistic HP number whereas the Bosch is using the misleading "Peak HP" The cfm numbers show which is really more powerful. If you check the amperage ratings of the 2 units it will probably be higher for the PC, if they both use the same type motor.

Some other things to look for: oil or oiless? and induction motor, or universal motor? If you can hear both units run, the noise level may help you make up your mind. Generally, oil lubed units are quiter and last longer, but are more expensive. Induction motors are quieter than universal motors. Once you get much beyond the pancake style or other pick-up-and-carry size units, they all have induction motors, but in these smaller sizes, it could be either.

Reply to
lwasserm

Any thoughts? Yes. Buy the one on sale or the one that has the nicest color of the one with the guns that feels better in your hand.

You can obsess over specifications for hours, but they will both perform about the same and I doubt you'll ever crank up to 150 psi anyway. Both make good products, both are reliable, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Still, the higher the psi rating the better, IME.

The higher the psi, the more air stored. The more air available, particularly with the non-demanding tools in the OP's package deal, the longer between cycles. (you could also maybe argue less heat, less wear, extended life, etc? But ....)

.... a longer time between cycles is definitely a _whole_ lot less aggravating in a small shop with these "oil less" beasts ... even if it's only two or three fewer cycles a session! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I bought the PC kit you're talking about. The brad and finish nailers are really nice guns and neither has had a single misfire yet. The thing is rather loud though. Also, check amazon.com - they have the same kit on there with free shipping and no tax.

Reply to
michael.billings

| > Judging by the cfm, both compressors will recover in about the same time, | > the Porter Cable a little faster actually, so how does hp play into the | > equation? Is this simply another case of two companies measuring specs | > differently. I am somewhat partial to the larger psi capacity of the | > Porter Cable but worry about what I will sacrifice with the low hp. Any | > thoughts? | >

| The 2 hp peak is just that - the maximum hp in any given cycle. | The .8 hp may be average (they aren't real specific). If so, then the peak | hp would be 1.6. | Furthermore, the actual hp depends on what one considers as the allowable | temperature rise. | | In all likelihood both units would drive a single finish nailer quite well. | | Jim |

Ignore HP and look at the delivered CFM. It's the only reliable measure of what a compressor can deliver.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

I have the PC pancake compressor, but I bought it by itself - not in the kit with the nail gun. I have to say that I like the weight. It recharges fast. But it is unacceptably LOUD. I mean VERY LOUD. You might want to try one out in a store before you buy it. It's the first PC product that I'm disappointed in. I'm either gonna sell it, or build a big insulated box to run it in, while it's in the shop.

The next compressor I buy will be an oil-type. The oilless all run a little loud. But the PC is the loudest I've ever had the joy of being near. I wish I had known that when I bought it - I would have made another choice.

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

I have a buddy who has a PC compressor - the 2 hp model. In fact we use it on the jobsite most every day. It is definately loud! I didn't realize that others were somewhat quieter. Actually I have an old sear wheelbarrow style oiled compressor that is equally as load - but much older technology! The compressor wont get used a whole lot. Mostly out in the garage where I can live with the noise.

Reply to
Jimmy