Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20 biscuit. Any suggestions?

Reply to
gerald_gruber

It seems to me that the depth stop rod that's supposed to hit the stop on the turret is either grossly maladjusted, broken, or missing altogether. Do you have the owner's manual for it?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, I do, but it didn't contain any useful information in regards to my problem.

Reply to
gerald_gruber

This should be straight forward simple. The turret is suppose to be stopped by an adjustment screw when you plunge. This screw is mounted on the motor housing plunge section directly behind the turret. That adjustment screw should engage the turret at the different indexing positions on the back end of the turret.

Perhaps the screw is missing.

Reply to
Leon

You didn't find the sections titled "Adjusting Depth of Groove" and "Fine Adjustment" on page 7 to be useful?

Look again, specifically at those two sections -- particularly Figure 3 -- and also at Figure 12 on page 10. If you're cutting #20 slots with the turret set at 10 or 0, the depth stop rod isn't hitting the stops on the turret that it's supposed to hit. The rod is either maladjusted, broken, or missing.

Reply to
Doug Miller

thanks to all

Reply to
gerald_gruber

So what turned out to be the problem? Was the screw missing, as Leon and I suggested, or was it something else?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not sure, I am at work now and will investigate when I get home tonight. Will report back tomorrow.

Reply to
gerald_gruber

Reply to
hello

LOL ... a more common problem than usually admitted.

Thanks for the follow up.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news:EJydnd02Jbv7FefbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have sons in the computer business, who have to deal at times with tech support.

They call it an 1d10t error.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Take it apart and check the spring behind the depth guage. Mine shifted over the plastic and left it all the way open. (#20) It will also help you understand how it works and what to look for the next time it screws up. And it will.

Pumis

Reply to
pumis

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

I did hardware AND software support on the side whilst teaching DOS & related applications. Happy happy, joy joy.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit