"Portable" Contractor Saw

I really want to upgrade to a contractor saw like a Delta or Grizzly, but I have a small shop in a finished basement, and would prefer to do any cutting outside.
Are there any contractor saws that can be easily moved outside through a standard size door, or do I want my cake and eat it, too?
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Take a look at the Ridgid Job Site saw.
Also the Ryobi, very similar to the Ridgid, has a collapsible wheeled cart.

Probably not a contractor's saw, as the motor hanging off the back is just not going to fit.
However, some of the cabinet-style hybrids might make it. You would probably want to look at making your own mobile base with bigger than normal casters to make it over the threashold. Sears has a couple of new saws which were (suprisingly) well reviewed that might fit the bill.
Exterior doors are usually about 36" right?
http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/specsheets/G1023S_ds.pdf?
According to Grizzly their entry-level cabinet saw is 32"
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/M-708770.pdf
Jet supersaw table is 27. Not sure what the fence adds.
-Steve

a) "depends on the size of the door". b) moving the saw *through* the _door_ is *really* hard on the saw -- not to mention what it does to the door.
A standard contractor saw can be induced to fit through a typical 3' doorway. *BUT*, You cannot have a 'wing' on either side of the base table. the fence must be supported by a front rail, *only*, you must have enough space to the right of the doorway for the fence rail to clear right up to the door opening. you must have some 'swing space' on the far side of the door opening.

Never really looked into it and I've never heard of one, but somewhere, there should be a contractor type saw with the motor underneath the table like a cabinet saw except that it has an open frame like a contractor's saw. Can't see why it isn't feasible. Lighter frame, smaller trunion to reduce weight, no wings or very short one for convenience sake? Isn't there anything like that on the market?

Probably because the conventional 'contractor' saw design can be used sitting on top of "anything". Your design would require an 'open top' frame for support, as well as making it much more difficult/awkward to transport.

sitting
Yeah, didn't think of that.

I have a Craftsman contractor saw (have had it for a couple of years). Move it regularly thru standard doors with no trouble. The only negative is that it has a tendency to be a bit top heavy. When cutting a full sheet of plywood, for example, two people are required to be safe.
Dave D
Certain models of Delta contractors saws have spring pins in the motor bracket and quick disconnect motor cords so that the motor can be very quickly removed and replaced. Allows the saw to fit through a 3' door. Designed specifically for that purpose.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:02:29 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"